Replacement glass for side window?

neilp

Somehow over night one of the side sliding windows got broken... Of course nothing was picked up on my security cameras. It is the window over the dinette area.

Does anyone know how best to get a replacement? can a local glass place make one to fit or do I need to order it? Can you just get the glass or will I have to replace the whole frame assembly?

Thanks for any info.

I've called all the glass places near here no one will do it.  Very frustrating... Not sure what the next step is. Get some glass and give it a try myself? Or some Perspex or acrylic?

It's probably tempered glass I don't think you would want plate glass in a motor home. I would go with plastic.

Edited by Maineah

Did it break into shards or rounded bits. Plexiglass will work for sure but try this

Tempered Glass | RV, Motorhome, Camper | Custom Glass Solutions (rvglassparts.com)

When you fill out the form make a note that you can send a pattern. Of course you will have to make a pattern but shouldn't be too hard. Lots of other places online that make safety glass too. Find the best price.

Linda S

i broke a window in my old escaper. It was tempered and broke into a million tiny pieces. An automotive glass place had the ability to do it, but it would take weeks since the glass needed to be sent off for tempering. Being on the road and out of my home state, i wasn’t able to wait. I stopped at a plexiglass specialty shop. He cut me up a new piece and we popped it in within 30 minutes for $50 bucks which I was happy to pay. It worked for the remainder of the road trip! 

17 hours ago, linda s said:

Did it break into shards or rounded bits. Plexiglass will work for sure but try this

Tempered Glass | RV, Motorhome, Camper | Custom Glass Solutions (rvglassparts.com)

When you fill out the form make a note that you can send a pattern. Of course you will have to make a pattern but shouldn't be too hard. Lots of other places online that make safety glass too. Find the best price.

Linda S

Thanks for this Linda, it looks like a good option. The window was tempered glass, and broke into tiny pieces, like the old toughened windshields did.

Edited by neilp

Austin isn't exactly small! There has got to be some one there that can cut and temper glass!

On 4/9/2022 at 4:43 PM, linda s said:

What is your total window measurement? It's a slider right? Can I see a pic? Maybe I can find a replacement for the whole thing at a reasonable price. I'm pretty good at finding things

Linda S

Hi Linda,

Best I can tell the window opening is 26.5" high x 30" wide. I've done some extensive googling and not found a replacement as yet!

On 4/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, Maineah said:

Austin isn't exactly small! There has got to be some one there that can cut and temper glass!

Unfortunately it's also a boom town right now. Everyone can pick and choose the work that they want, and charge extra for what they do take on. It's very hard to find staff and the construction trades are all booked months out, some through next year. All the glass places are super busy and no one even wanted to talk to me once I mentioned "RV" ... 

Edited by neilp