painting the exterior roof

86Dolphino

Hey all, 

I hope you all have been well. 

Ive been working on my escape hatch in the front. I decided to cute a 14x14 inch hole in it and put a fantastic fan in it. which got me thinking i need to put a fresh coat of paint on my roof. 

what would you all day is the best? I know dicor makes a few products not sure what one is best for the aluminum roof tho. I had a friend here use flex seal (gallon jug) and my family member (goes cheap) and says he just uses a high quality hi latex exterior paint from Home Depot. 

I would really just like to do it one good time and be done with it. 

what would you all recommend? 

PS the fantastic fan inside the escape hatch is turning out great ill have to post a pic.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well man sometimes when no one knows you go alone. I haven’t painted my exterior roof yet. But the fantastic fan above the bunk and one in the rear bathroom works awesome I’d say it’s part of the top 3 things done. 

Edited by 86Dolphino

White elastomeric roof coating. No tar or aluminum fiber roof coating.

Scrape/Clean roof to bare metal. Use 2 coats applied at correct outside temps.

Go to your local big box store. Check the coatings for $$ and warranty. Spend more, paint less...Hows your back and knees?

Well I’m 39 and they will get sore after about 8 to 12 hours lol. I have no idea how I would scrape off the old stuff. It’s not peeling but it really old. The my roof is tin (I think) thin anyways worried too much scraping may punch a hole in it lol. 

If it's not peeling at all scraping it all off isn't a must. It must be very clean though.

Much of the painting on can be done with a roller and pole. 

Just tape drop cloth all around the edge so you don't drip down and mess up your siding

Linda S