How to disassemble low point drain valves

neilp

My camper has leaking low point drain valves - the ones under the couch that pull up to drain the fresh water tank and the lines. When I first got my camper 3 years ago I replaced the other two that are under the stove area with different ones which was a big job with shark bit fittings etc.

I have since read about replacing the o-rings but I'm not sure how thevalves come apart? I recall that you remove the metal loop and push them through the floor? I've searched the forum and the net but cannot find the answer!

TIA

Neil

I just tried pushing one down and popped out under the camper very easily. However I should have thought to release the water pressure first!!  I'm off in search of o-rings now so any advice on the size is still appreciated.

Quick update: I tried the closest sized o-rings that were at Home Depot. No good, the "plunger" piece would not go back into the valve body no matter how hard I tried. The new o-rings are only a gnat's bollock hair bigger than the originals but that seems to be sufficient to stop them from working. So I did my best to reinvigorate the original o-rings with hot water to make them usable and reassembled the valve. 

After practicing a few cuss words I found that the reassembled valve now worked in reverse - down is sealed and up is draining. A bit baffling but I'll take it as it no longer leaks. 

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they sell a reasonably complete "O ring" assorted kit for cheap (it IS Harbor Freight after all). Not sure if they have the size you're looking for but it might be worth giving it a shot.

For example:  https://www.harborfreight.com/382-piece-o-ring-assortment-67554.html

Edited by Legobusier