Just for fun

Checkout the tow mirrors and desert water bag hanging off the front bumper. 1950’s vintage. 

490DD8FE-1D72-42E3-91DA-F742529C9431.jpeg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been there and done that. That place was a watering hole for overheated cars. There was a small spring fed stone cistern. It had a sign "non potable water, not for human consumption". Drank from it many times as a kid, never got sick.  🤢 The water tasted better than what came out of the cooler bag.

The folks car was a 1952 Buick special. Inline 8 and a 2 speed DynaFlow transmission. My dad bought is from his brother who worked for American Pipe. They were laying large pipes and aqueducts  to bring Colorado River water to LA. First time the car overheated on him going across the desert, he took it to their truck repair and told the shop foreman to put a bigger radiator in it so it would not do that again. It ended up with a truck radiator in it, no more heat problems. He told the shop that he needed a good hitch to pull his trailer from job site to job site. Same over kill it was a 6" c channel that was welded to the frame in 6 places. That car was unstoppable as long as you could keep gas in it.

Edited by WME

Check out the price for a carton of Camel cigarettes. (lower right hand corner).

E25B0D86-4D91-48F7-876F-B69FBA99269D.jpeg

1st pack of Cigs I bought cost me $1.25 out of a vending machine when I was a Juvenile. Packs were under a dollar for adults who could buy them at gas stations. I feel for those still wrapped up in that addiction and the cost they have to tolerate.  And gas prices recently. I'm grateful for my Escaper as opposed to the Ford 460 motorhome I used to have. Twice the mileage and usable without being too painful even with these high prices.  

On 3/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, Scott iv said:

1st pack of Cigs I bought cost me $1.25 out of a vending machine when I was a Juvenile. Packs were under a dollar for adults who could buy them at gas stations. I feel for those still wrapped up in that addiction and the cost they have to tolerate.  And gas prices recently. I'm grateful for my Escaper as opposed to the Ford 460 motorhome I used to have. Twice the mileage and usable without being too painful even with these high prices.  

I remember buying a carton of Marlboro at the px for $2.00. I couldn’t afford to smoke today.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:32 AM, Gary_M said:

And the smoking pipes, upper left, I remember those. 😉 

How about the aviator sunglasses on the back wall. 😎

Wow when I started driving I would have saved a fortune I was paying 18 cents a gallon!

Anybody remember "Gas Wars" between stations?

I remember 29.9 cents per gallon at the cut rate gas station down the street. At 16, pennies counted.

Later in the early 70’s I remember about 35 cents per gallon and proclaiming if gasoline got to $1.00 a gallon, I would stop driving. 😂

The partial sign on the left must have been their business before the first McDonalds.

CAF392E0-F1C8-489D-8A23-B73458D5D41C.jpeg

Edited by fred heath

4 hours ago, WME said:

Anybody remember "Gas Wars" between stations?

Oh yeah I was working for a gas station in the  late 60's the first time then they did it again in the early 70's!

It always amazed me that people would sit in line to save 1 or 2 cents per gallon. The gasoline used while idle probably cost more than the savings.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, fred heath said:

Talk about that ‘o-s..t moment’

A39BE74C-BB85-4E98-8FE7-0B633F18051B.jpeg

How are they going to save it?

Child of the 70's here. My parents bought a 1st gen Honda civic in the mid 70's during one of the oil crisis. My brother and I barely fit in the back seat of the 2 door. Tiny cars. Dramatic size difference from cares of the 50's and 60's. Civic gas mileage was as good in that car as most today.