Wifi/remote Battery solar charge and tank monitors?!

thewanderlustking

I have been looking at the Deltran Wireless monitor for a while.  They make high quality battery tenders.   I live in Florida and we have a lot of seasonal snowbirds.  Several of my customers use the Deltran monitors and tenders to keep an eye on their cars while they are out of state.  

BUT, I know there are other options specifically geared towards RV battery monitoring.  I found a couple basic options, but none that could monitor two batteries.  These were full on charge controllers.

But in the higher end side of things, I started to find some marine systems that not only monitored battery, but also tank levels.  

Are there systems out there like this for RVs?  At some semblance of being affordable?  I would love a modular system I can expand on over time that doesn't necessarily include a monitor, but utilizes an iPad or tablet.   I would want to see battery charge levels and usage.  And tank levels.  Grey, black, fresh.  I am going to have to fix or replace my current monitor, so might as well go slightly higher tech when I do...   

Here's an afternoon reading. Victron makes everything EVERYTHING you will EVER need for your RV 12v system.🤡.

https://www.victronenergy.com/

Bring your credit card and checkbook.

Edited by WME

Yeah kinda spendy lol.  It covers my basic needs perfectly though.

The RV whisper system is also VERY interesting, but I am much more confused about it. Seems it can work with different brands and types of sensors but also has its own array. They are pretty reasonably priced and include temperature and door monitors.  Even more perfect!  But it’s battery monitors don’t look nearly as smart as the Victron ones.  Since this is the most important feature…

I am definitely looking closely at these two  systems. 

Garmin has a fully integrated system but I think it is only available for OEM. It is super cool with entertainment mixed in too. I’m sure it is astronomically priced too.  The one I can't find pricing for is the Garmin rv-in1501.  There are some others like the 1090, but I don't think it integrates like the other one.  Whatever its super cool, but defiantly NOT what I am looking for.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

Why would you need a super wiz bang RV GPS for a motor home that weights less than a 4 door full size Ford PU?

Its not turnkey, but there are a lot of open source programs utilizing Raspberry Pi or Arduino and the like, to monitor and control with.

A local HAM has a remote setup for solar using open source and arduinos, really impressive. Most all of it could be reconfigured to use on an RV.

I have a 100 watt panel on an aluminum frame that I made it allows me to raze it to match the sun elevation being portable I can also turn it to follow the sun when I'm done it folds flat and lives on the couch for transport. There are two power points one at the front of the camper the other in the back they feed twin batteries. I have never had a lack of power. The setup runs the camper light's ham radio, TV, water pump etc. I have no AC if I did a little Honda would power that. Far cheaper and lighter than a bank of batteries. By the way a 5" computer fan moves a great deal of air and uses very little current! I am an avid believer in the KISS priceable! The greater the toy count the greater the chance of some thing breaking!

Lol yeah I definitely DO NOT need (or even want) the Garmin whiz bang awesomeness. And anyone paying more than $80 for a Garmin is a little bit a fool when you can get ones with Lifetime Maps on eBay for as cheaply as $15.  But I REALLY like the way Garmin integrated multiple systems into one interface.  If it was any reasonable amount, might be worth thinking about. But the rv specific units seem to all start at $700, and I can’t even find prices for the integrated system.   

Both the Vctron and RV Whisper systems come close. 

I am finally at the point where I have a reasonable comprehension of the whole electrical system.  And a fair idea of how I want to proceed with repairs and upgrading  it.  No, I don’t need a whole lot of power and am upgrading bulbs and all possible to LED. But I have a reasonably expensive lead acid deep cycle house battery I want to protect, plus the truck battery.  The setup doesn’t have a whole lot of reserve. But I suspect it will be fine for the time being. 

The basics I am after is a setup that keeps the house and truck batteries SAFELY charged up and ready to go.  I also want to be able to monitor the solar and battery usage. Going a little further, I want a monitor that will send me notification if a battery gets low. 

Since I have to replace some parts no matter what, and it is as much effort to put cheap stuff in as compared to upgraded components that give me that little extra…. I’m going for that extra!  

It might be that I decide “integration” is simply a dedicated tablet or iPad….  I have a few I can easily spare. 

KISS is a definite factor. One reason why an amazing system like Garmin or the Simarine setup are off the table. I don’t want something built in or requiring a specific control panel interface. 

Searching RV Monitor in the App Store brings up some other systems to go track down….