ALL MY LOCKS SUCK... Any better options???

Like ALL the stupid locks on my Toy are GARBAGE.   I have a couple questions!   

1)  Lets start with the factory door locks...  It is a struggle to open them with the key.   I have 2 keys, so to start off I need to figure out which one is the older/best and hopefully not a gen 2 or g3 copy.  But I am probably going to do the keyless entry mod.  I did this on my VW Rabbit and absolutely LOVED it!  I probably have a "VW STYLE" kit sitting on my shelf, but the geek in me wants my key to look like a Toyota key.  So I will likely buy another kit.  I mean they are what all of $15-25 lol?  

No real questions here, unless anyone has happened to measure the amp draw these put on the system in rest?  The one on my Rabbit would take the battery down eventually.  

2)  My rear entry door can open with my gas key...  Or probably a butterknife.  I want a better option that still has the same vintage feel.  Ideally I want one with an electric release too, so I can use the remote entry trunk pop.  Does this exist???  I see plenty of very modern looking expensive options, but none look close enough to ours to fit without major surgery, or breaking the budget.  A simple hidden powered deadbolt solenoid would probably work...  I am not really wanting the whole keypad setup.  Dunno I am probably reinventing the wheel here.  I know I can find a better door lock assembly that will fit in with minimal effort, but a power release on it would be epic! 

If all else fails, I could live with this one:  Novustech Rv Keyless Entry Door Lock  The keypad isn't as obvious as most are.  It blends in a little better.  I want to retain most of the vintage look this beast has.  

3)  Then the gas cap key is actually a BLANK key profile...   Nobody even TRIED to pretend it has actual tumblers inside...   I could really use an actual locking gasp of even just "ok" quality.  Although being able to open this with anything I guess could be beneficial...  Maybe it is enough to stop a gas thief?  In my neighborhood I have cameras on it at all time.  So its more of an out on the road concern.  Is this a warranted thing to worry about?

4)  What about compartment locks??? 

DISCLAIMER:  So anyone who has watched videos on pentesting knows that there are certain locks that are "universal" and with minimal research I can go hunt down the sometimes only 1 key option for a specific purpose.  I suspect our RV's are pretty universal in this scenario too.  I bet there are probably less than a dozen easily obtainable keys that will open our storage compartments or other locks.    

For instance I have a wooden locking box I made 30yrs ago with a simple cabinet lock.  I probably lost the key 20yrs ago...  About a month ago, I went to Home Depot and bought the three locks they had that were similar.  The first one I tried, opened it.  Mind you, I made this 30yrs ago...  

Edited by thewanderlustking

I dealt with my local locksmith and the Walmart camping department. Ended up with 3 keys for everything. Toyota key for ignition and cab doors. Deadbolt key for camper door and the same key for all compartment doors. 

The deadbolt is way stronger than the factory door handle, so I never locked it.  

Tagging this to follow.

Ide like to see folks suggestions too. I'm in the same situation. I have 2 sets of 4 keys for mine.

1 key for the truck doors and ignition, 1 key for the storage compartments, and the coach door takes two keys one for each lock.

Would be nice to bring it all into 2 keys.

Your problem is actually pretty easily solved because of mine LOL!  Let me explain!  So if you watch any videos on locks and penetration testing AKA pentesting, you will realize just how few key and lock options are actually available.  With a few minutes of digging I discovered that there is one main lock most commonly used for RV's.  In that series of locks it went from 340-390 or something and I doubt every number actually has a different key designated to it.  But more importantly, you can buy sets of the locks over on e-trailer pretty inexpensively.

The compartment locks are SUPER easy to change out.  The door locks will be a little harder.  Go take some pictures of your locks, and also some zoomed in pictures of the numbers on the locks.  Be aware though if you post those numbers here somebody unscrupulous from outside the forums could potentially buy a key for your locks as that's whet they identify.  If you don't want to post that number I can help direct you or you can PM it to me.  Whatever.  If you are going to change them ALL out, it won't matter once you do.  

Please feel free to post up here and hijack this thread too, I am cool with that!  And I am watching this also so it makes sense.

My problem is a little more, well I am at least overcomplicating my approach...  I realized that a butterknife will open my house door, but the right key doesn't want to open the truck doors...  Then my locking gas cap is a joke as the "key" is literally an uncut blank key...  I don't really care if I have a few keys, but I want my front doors on a power unlock and also want "trunk pop" to open or unlock the rear house door.    

In my case, I don't want a handful of remotes. While I probably need to upgrade my house door lock, and buying a power one with a remote is doable, but it isn't (easily) integrated with the front door remote.  Yeah I have the skills and electronics ability to open it up and make it work, but that's a lot of effort on an already expensive part with better than average risk of damaging that part...    

After a lot of searching, I am thinking that a simple power tailgate lock like those made by Pop & Lock might be my ticket.  Still not a super cheap option, but defiantly simple.  

Right about the few key lock combinations. Met friends for dinner and my friend came in in a panic because he had locked his key in his car with lights still on. His old Corona, mine new Corolla, 15 years apart. I opened his doors with my keys with ease. Lucky but worrisome at the same time. Also my Nissan Sunrader came with only ignition keys. Found keys on my Toyota Sunrader that fit everything including coach door key. 

Linda S

Pretty much removed all the compartment locks with a butter fly handle just to make it easier for me. All of those locks can easily be turned with pliers and or a screw driver.  The compartments would make a nice home for your pet snake.

LOL SO TRUE!  Speaking of snakes, that’s all that I keep in mine. If someone steals my poop snake, they got issues…    

I just went and tried. Neither of my front door keys really work any better. One looks like it might be the original. Or possibly copy the Toyota dealership made.  It is a flat key, but says Toyota on it. The power lock conversion will be the nicest solution for that.  

I only have one outside locking compartment. The one the sewer snake is in up on the front drivers side. That one is a stiff lock that all the keys slide into easily, and don’t want to come back out. Except   the correct key that doesn’t fit or turn easily. Go figure. I will likely replace that one. But I will try some PB Blaster or graphite first. Whatever it’s a $10 part to replace. If I could get that and a new working door latch lock that match…. I will leave the old latch assembly in and just add the power “tailgate” deadbolt. 

Anyways exploring options and coming up MUCH shorter than I would like.  This is a back burner research project though right now….