Domestic Fridge doesn’t work

Jimijames

Hey All,

I just bought this 1986 Odyssey Mesa and have been going through everything one by one. I cannot get this fridge to work.  When plugged into shore power, it doesn’t get cold or make a sound. I even ran an extension from my garage to the fridge and still nothing. I switched to propane with the same results. Am I missing something?  I have zero experience with these types of refrigerators. If there is a way to test with a multimeter, I’m game for that. Otherwise, I need to know if a repair is better than just buying a new one (they seem to be pricey so I’d rather avoid that) or getting a small fridge to run off of AC via shore power or generator. Any and all advice is appreciated. 

open the access door on the outside. feel the tubes for heat. if they are some hot, look for yellow discoloration. mine had a leak in the tubing. a new cooling system for it was about $400. hardest part was getting the thing out of its hole. had to take it out through the passenger door.

This is nothing like a electric fridge it takes a long time for any thing to happen. Yeah it is possible it's toes up but give it a good hour then open the freezer door and see it it's good and cold if so come back in a hour or 2 and check the fridge. Even working properly they make no noise. If it flunks the test they generally are repairable and have good deal of merit some have switch to dorm fridges it's up to you but the RV has all the necessary stuff to make it work all ready.

9 hours ago, Maineah said:

This is nothing like a electric fridge it takes a long time for any thing to happen. Yeah it is possible it's toes up but give it a good hour then open the freezer door and see it it's good and cold if so come back in a hour or 2 and check the fridge. Even working properly they make no noise. If it flunks the test they generally are repairable and have good deal of merit some have switch to dorm fridges it's up to you but the RV has all the necessary stuff to make it work all ready.

I didn’t know that. I will try this and what Extech recommends to know if it’s working or broken. Thanks to you both. 

They actually are good fridges they work on propane gas, and DC while you are driving. Parked you can just plug in and run it on a power point! It is not the type of fridge that you can just open the door and take 15 minutes to decide what's for dinner though. I will add if the tube is hot that only means the burner is working it doesn't mean the fridge is OK. 

On 2/1/2022 at 5:48 AM, Maineah said:

Maineah, your instructions revealed a working fridge!  Thank you so much.