15 hours ago, linda s said:

Did you not call any of the places I posted. They were all within 30 miles of Orange county. Scroll back and look. The only Toyota rim with that lug pattern is the dually. All of them only used on the heavy duty trucks that had dually wheels. Scroll back and look at my earlier post. The one where I say I have a 5 lug front. You're not asking for one your year. You're just asking for a dually. Don't make it more complicated than it is. Call them

Linda S

No I didn’t . You offered to look when you got home, so I was following up on that statement. I’m sorting through a ton of information here with all the responses. I deserve the attitude but am doing my best believe me. 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, linda s said:

Yup my little Sunrader has 5 lugs in the front. Doesn't bother me at all. So here are some salvage yards near you that might have the wheels you need

Truck Parts Company

Home (danstruckandauto.com)

SV Auto Dismantling | Irwindale, CA (car-part.com)

Listings on the site I use can be old and not available anymore. Always call first. If no luck call these guys. They have been the Toyota mini truck go to place for many years. They also have mechanics who know these trucks.

CalMini-Truck Dismantler (calminirecycling.com)

Linda S

I phoned all of these places and scored on Truck Parts Co and SV. SV is asking $100 and Truck Parts $125. Thank you for these sources Linda. 

15 hours ago, WME said:

Your 6 bolt rims front and rear are 6 bolt, 6 hand hold rims are interchanable front and rear. So no problem.

Replacement rim... simple buy a 6 hand hold rim, problem is they are rare.  The newer 3 hand hold rim is OK IF you get the correct lug nuts 

What is different about the lug nuts?

The 6 hand hold rim is hubcentric mounted and uses flanged nuts all they do is hold the rim on. The 3 hand hold rim is studcentric and is mounted with tapered nuts that center it

37 minutes ago, Jimijames said:

What is different about the lug nuts?

Reason I ask is I’m able to locate 6 lug 1 ton duallyrims with 3 hand holes and need to determine if these are do-able or not 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:29 AM, linda s said:

The tires are fine for your rig. I would check the age on the rear tires while your at it. Tires older than 7 years should be replaced no matter how they look. Look online for how to tell what year tires were made. 

Your front rims are standard Toyota 5 lug rims. In California almost any salvage yard will have a selection to pick from. 

Linda S

Front tires are mfg in 2019. Rear 2013. Front spare 2013. If I am reading the code correctly. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, linda s said:

No I posted places that have 6 bolt dually rims. I do not recommend you go back to original. The dually is an upgrade you should definitely keep. Those places are super close to you

Linda l

21 minutes ago, WME said:

The 6 hand hold rim is hubcentric mounted and uses flanged nuts all they do is hold the rim on. The 3 hand hold rim is studcentric and is mounted with tapered nuts that center it

So the obvious question is can I obtain tapered nuts to make it work?

16 hours ago, WME said:

Your 6 bolt rims front and rear are 6 bolt, 6 hand hold rims are interchanable front and rear. So no problem.

Replacement rim... simple buy a 6 hand hold rim, problem is they are rare.  The newer 3 hand hold rim is OK IF you get the correct lug nuts 

WME, my rear is 6 bolt, 5 hand hold. See the pic 

20A732DB-BD24-45FF-B5F4-44B508C443BD.jpeg

Your first set of pics showed 6 hand hold rims in the rear. How many different types of rims do you have?

3 hours ago, WME said:

Your first set of pics showed 6 hand hold rims in the rear. How many different types of rims do you have?

Turns out I have one 6 hand (drivers side rear, the reverse thread one) and this 5 hand hold,  passenger side rear. The other 6 hand hold pics are for the front. 

On 1/31/2022 at 8:41 PM, linda s said:

No I posted places that have 6 bolt dually rims. I do not recommend you go back to original. The dually is an upgrade you should definitely keep. Those places are super close to you

Linda l

Two of the places you shared have dually wheels available to sell. However, it was pointed out in this forum (WME I believe) that there were differences in the 6 hand hold versions and the newer 3 hand hold version of these. I have a 6 hand hold 6 lug on the drivers side rear and a 5 hand hold 6 lug on the passenger side. When looking for a spare, how concerned do I need to be if the hand hold number matches what I currently have on the motorhome. How big a deal is it if they have a different number of hand holds?

36 minutes ago, linda s said:

I already answered this, but Toyota Tundra lug nuts will fit for wherever you need to put the 3 hand hole rims and only the 3 hand hole rims. 

Linda S

Thanks for this info Linda. I’m looking into what specifically (hand hold number) is available as a spare from your sources, but it’s good to know that if all that’s available are 3 hand hold, I can buy the Tundra nuts and still use it on the dually as a spare.

Who ever knew something (seemingly) so simple (I.e., “my front tires are losing air and I may need to replace the bent rim”) would turn out to have so many complications and mitigating factors. My head was spinning for a bit there, but am slowly putting all the pieces together on wheels for a 1986 Toyota motorhome. God help me on the rest of the issues I have or will have🤯

Made more complicated by the fact you have several custom made wheels. There were no 5 hand hold wheels from Toyota ever and one of your front wheels has a more angular bump out section. Also not Toyota. Have no idea who made them but I have seen the angular one before on a Huntsman motorhome. As long as you use the Tundra lugs on the 3 hand hole wheels in front all of this will never be an issue. Keep the old lugs in you glove box in case you ever need to put the spare on. Truth is the old lugs will even hold the 3 hand hole wheel just fine. Won't wobble or anything but you can never use the cone shaped lugs, Tundra, on the old wheels. Won't tighten properly. This stuff happens when you buy an old motorhome with lots of previous owners who have done a bunch of makeshift repairs. Once you get used to the oddities you won't even think about it anymore. Like riding a bike. Becomes automatic

Linda S

You have enough lug nuts to go around. Looking at the 5 handhold rim it seems to have have tapered lug nuts. 

What is your total rim situtation?? fronts, rears and inner rears?? What is your lug nut situtation?

You look to have proper flanged nuts on the front and both rears have tapered nuts. Remove a passanger side front nut and a passanger side rear nut and take a photo.

Your best plan may to be buy a good 6 handhold rim and use it and make the oddball 5 handhold your spare

20 hours ago, thewanderlustking said:

Jimjames, in almost every town is a franchise called the Wheel Doctor.  Look for them, or if you can't find them, go to your local tire shop and ask them who repairs rims.  Yes, normally you would go online to Amazon, Tire Warehouse, or eBay and get a wheel, but you have a rare wheel that is valuable because it is hard to find.    

An average wheel is $150 to repair.  Your mileage will vary, I bring them enough work that I might get a better price than the average person walking in.  

Have a tire shop look at it and have them tell you where you can get it repaired, IF IT EVEN NEEDS TO BE.   This is not advice from another Toyota Motorhome expert.  This is advice from somebody who has been in the automotive industry for over 25yrs with almost all of that time spent in tire heavy shops.  It is EXTREMELY rare for a vehicle more than 4-5yrs old to come in with 4 straight steel wheels.  The wheels on these Toyotas though, are as close to BOMB PROOF (like beyond bulletproof)  I have ever seen.  In all my years doing tires, I have never once seen one of these dually wheels that are bent.  I also have 11 of them, all more than 35yrs old, and every single one I have balanced is ARROW STRAIGHT.  Pretty sure I have balanced ALL of them too.      

Yes it is possible, but any hit hard enough to have bent one of these small and super thick wheels, is probably going to have caused a serious accident and done visible damage to the truck or suspension components.  Yes, I do see maybe a minor lip wobble in one of the pictures.  But not a bend that's severe enough to cause a leak....  More likely you have rusty/crusty 35yr old wheels and they simply need to be cleaned and bead sealed where the tire mounts up.  Or even more likely you have crappy stems.  

But also remember this, pretty much every tire that sits, leaks air.  I make it part of my monthly routine to start the truck, and check air in all the tires.  I am usually somewhere between 2-8psi low from last top up.  Also make a point to drive and move the RV.  Don't just let it sit unmoving in the same spot for months on end.  I drive it around the block so my tires aren't sitting in the same spot.   General rule of thumb is if you are loosing more than 3-4 psi of air a week, you have a leak.  But 3-4psi is also the difference between a cold early morning, and a hot sunny afternoon.        

Better yet, I messaged you my phone number.  I have 4 of the 6 hand hole 6 lug wheels.  Come by and pick them up with the crappy tires on them, and they are free!  But likely that isn't realistically accomplished, so I can dismount the tires and ship the wheels to you.  Check your messages.           

wanderlustking, thank you for all the practical and professional advice and information.  I truly appreciate it. That's good to know about the genuine Toyota dually wheels being so sturdy.  Turns out, I have a non-Toyota dually (5 hand hole) on the rear passenger and a non-Toyota (6-lug with adapter) on the front.  I drove it 7 hours from Arizona to CA without a problem.  Besides these 2 leaky tires, everything works as it should.  Should I just forget about trying to replace everything with a genuine Toyota rim?  Apparently non-Toyota wheels (seem to)  fit just fine.

I'm in Southern CA.  I don't know where you reside, but if it were less than a 10-hour drive from me, I would definitely come to you on a weekend and pick those puppies up.

12 minutes ago, WME said:

You have enough lug nuts to go around. Looking at the 5 handhold rim it seems to have have tapered lug nuts. 

What is your total rim situtation?? fronts, rears and inner rears?? What is your lug nut situtation?

You look to have proper flanged nuts on the front and both rears have tapered nuts. Remove a passanger side front nut and a passanger side rear nut and take a photo.

Your best plan may to be buy a good 6 handhold rim and use it and make the oddball 5 handhold your spare

I'll pull off the nuts tomorrow and send you a pic.  I've never attempted to loosen the rears yet.  The front was impossible.  I have a breaker bar, but no air tools.  Had to get AAA to come out and bust it loose.

There is no 6 hand hole rim within a 1000 miles of him and have no way of knowing if they are still even available. He needs to work with what he can get and that's a 3 hand hole. No that 5 hand hole does not have tapered nuts. They are left hand thread. No tapered nuts for left hand thread

Linda S

Do not forget that if you try to take them off

6 hours ago, linda s said:

Use the 3 hand hole ones in the front and buy Tundra lug nuts for that wheel. Any auto parts store should have them. 14mm by 1.5 thread. Problem solved

Linda S

Thanks much!

14 minutes ago, linda s said:

There is no 6 hand hole rim within a 1000 miles of him and have no way of knowing if they are still even available. He needs to work with what he can get and that's a 3 hand hole. No that 5 hand hole does not have tapered nuts. They are left hand thread. No tapered nuts for left hand thread

Linda S

Man, I need to write all this stuff down LOL.  Yeah, after the guy I called (from the link you posted) told me he had 6-lug toyota dually rims, this subject of hand holds smacked me in the face.  I called him back and he was too busy to take a pic and send back to me.  He's going to send me a pic tomorrow of what he has available.  It sounds like it's probably going to be the 3 hand hold ones.

theWanderlustking said that he had 4 of the 6 handhold rims, did you contact him?

1 hour ago, WME said:

theWanderlustking said that he had 4 of the 6 handhold rims, did you contact him?

We are in contact about them

If possible get flanged lug nuts for the rims you have

Edited by WME

17 hours ago, linda s said:

Linda S

Actually the 5 hand hold dually is on the passenger side rear, so normal thread. The drivers side dually is 6 hand hold and LH thread. 

now im curious.  are the stud holes smaller in the 6 hole wheels?  will they fit against the taper on the stud in the pic?.   these 3 hole wheels fit tightly on the hub, and i don't see how the tapered nuts do more to center the wheel

20220204_133420.jpg

20220204_132330.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, if my reading comprehension is working right.... Is it right that a 3 hole wheel mounted on the front on the 5 to 6 lug adapter (as seen early in this thread) requires a "mag seat" (flat) 14x1.5 lug nut?

I'm trying to finish my conversion to six lug adapters (and single spare) on my 86 sunrader. Six hand rears, three hand front wheels on the adapters. Everything is done but I have the wrong lug nuts for the front.  

Thank you... Ok, so above you stated:

"As long as you use the Tundra lugs on the 3 hand hole wheels in front all of this will never be an issue. Keep the old lugs in you glove box in case you ever need to put the spare on. Truth is the old lugs will even hold the 3 hand hole wheel just fine." 

So is the tundra lug a flat seat, and thus the preferred lug nut? With a cone/taper m14 lug nut, the taper seats far enough into the front wheel that the flats *just* begin to touch the surface of the wheel. They certainly center the wheel, but I don't want to screw anything up.