Low Battery after an hour or so

KonCon

Hi everyone.

After a couple of months running without issue, something new came up where I was hoping to use everyones knowledge when determining how to move forward.

Here's the current setup to my knowledge:

- There are two batteries installed to power the coach (small picture see below).

- 300 W converter installed. I can turn on and have two switches powered with 300 W when the switch is flipped

- Tri-Metric TM-2030-A (second picture). I don't know what you call this piece but I would guess it's to monitor the battery :)

- Battery reads 100% at 13.1 Volts.

Here is the issue:

- On my most recent trips, after an hour or so running the furnace as well has having some lights on, I hear a repeating beeping. The indicator reads b.LO. According to the manual, this means low battery.

- It first happened a month or so back when I plugged in an electric device with 98W. Shortly after plugging it in, I heared the sound. I left it in for a minute or so to see what happened and then unplugged it, Gut the b.LO light flashing throughout the night when the furnace was on.

- On the last trip, I turned on the furnace when we arrived and a couple of lights. After about an hour, I got again the b.LO and the lights went dim as if the power was reduced. Luckily we were at a powered site so I just plugged in the rig and everything worked fine.

I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. The batteries holding 13.1 V and showing 100% seems to indicate that there is no issue.

But the power drops significantly after a short period of time so I'm trying to figure out if it is just bad batteries or something else.

According to the records I have, I suspect the batteries to be installed in 2015.

Happy for any advice.

Thanks,

Nico

PXL_20220126_012918364.jpg

PXL_20220126_013441577.jpg

battery no load voltage is not an indicator of battery condition. 7 years on a battery is really good, but i think you are at the end of life.

If you have 2 batteries and one has a bad cell they will try to equalize drawing the good battery down also. They need to be tested under a load one at a time to determine what one is bad. It is very possible both are toes up due to age. The only thing that will work is a load test voltage can be deceiving no load.

Thank you both for your input.

I don't think I'm able to perform this load test with what I have.

I was thinking just going to O'Reilly's and have them test. Would that work?

Any recommendation for a spacific battery or can I just use any standard battery they would sell?

Thanks

Nico

Yeah most parts outfits have pretty decent testers. The batteries are most likely group 24's standard lead acid they should fill your power needs. By changing battery chemistry it may open a can of worms and can involve different chargers etc.

I might just try to get the exact same batteries that are in there if it turns out they need to be replaced (which I assume).

The pictures I posted show the battery tag. It says Group Size GC2 so I would look for something like that right? I'll probably have the person who tests it decide on what ones to take.

What you have there are two 6 volt golf cart batteries. They need to be hooked up correctly to make 12 volts. They end up giving you a much higher amp hour rating but you pay for that. Replacing them will cost around $ 350 or more. The standard 12 volt deep cycle battery runs around a hundred and Sunraders usually only have room for a group 24. With all the stuff the previous owner added you probably have room for larger like a group 27. 

Linda S

Lead acid (flooded cell) batteries are all about the lead. Lead = life span and AH.

The battery you have weighs 58lbs, 210 ah...$130

Sams Club has 2 sizes GC-2, 60 lbs, 215 ah...$ 90 and an EGC-2, 64 lbs 230 ah... $135.

The EGC has the same footprint as a GC-2 but is 1.5" taller and may not fit.

Batteries are heavy and are rated hazardous to ship, check total cost, maybe a local buy is cheaper.

COVID has messed up stock levels at many places.

Linda's point is valid, a 27 size battery is 109 HA and costs $85 at Walmart, so 2 would give you 218 ah and cost $170.  An easy peasy set up is a single Group 29 battery $90 and 122ah.

Something to think about Walmart is everywhere so battery warranty in the middle of a trip is easy.

With lead acid, AGM, Gel cell and Lipo batteries available you can start down the rabbit hole quickly. Renogy has an 200 ah AGM for $395 and a 200 ah Lipo for $1000

FWIW I have 2 EGC-2 batteries and a 280w solar set up. Never run out of power, even with wifes CPAP and cold weather. 

Yes they are 6 volt batteries I didn't see that, but the draw down problem is the same one bad battery will effect both even if one is brand new. Golf cart batteries actually are a good choice for a limited space MH a lot more amp hours than a single battery and they are deep cycle. Yes they are heavy (twice the weight of a single group 27) but on the plus side a great deal more current for pretty much any thing you want to ever run. Yes a pair will run 300+ but they will last a LOT longer too and far more robust set up. Twin 6 volts are simple wiring find the ground cable connect it to the convent negative camper post on one battery on the second battery turn it to face the positive  camper cable. You will have two battery posts left over join them together with the left over short cable one will be positive the other negative this is how you make 12 volts with 2, 6 volt batteries.

Can't say often enough how thankful I am for everyone's input.

Attached a picture of the current setup. Looks like the guy built it specifically for two 6Volt batteries, so I would tend to just go with that and copy the wiring as it is now.

I'll check out the internet for a place where I can go here in Portland, OR that seems to know what they are doing.

I'll keep you posted.

Edit:

How about something like this if they have this type of battery: https://www.unitedbattery.net/reconditioned-batteries/

PXL_20220128_011921436.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by KonCon

Not to sure about reconditioned batteries. But they sell very good new batteries. Rolls and Trojan make their batteries. Deka is made by the same maker of the Duracell that Sams sells 

to bad the po didnt use the drain hole in the box (washing the batteries). by the look of things you need new cables also. those type batteries gas off alot, so rinsing them off every month is needed

Thank you everyone.

I eneded up going the $350+ route and got a new set of batteries since the old ones were dead.

I will take a look how to maintain batteries and make sure I have a routine. Old ones were pretty dry so I want to make sure that doesn't happen to the old ones.

Let's hope everything goes well. The dude at the store installed it so I think it should be good.

Again thanks everyone. 

What batteries dis you get?