Pesky Leak 1, me Zero

ATXBreeze

Altho I have tried! I have never been able to fix a rain leak that starts somewhere in my roof mounted AC unit (I think) and makes it way to the inside and leaks leaks leaks every time it rains.  The cover on top of the RV is OK shape, no cracks, just the regular venting slits along the sides and the opening in the rear.  I've removed it several times to see what I could see, but all I see is the actural AC unit (no idea where the water entry point is!)  Maybe there's a rain entry point upstream, but the AC unit's the biggest

(square) hole so I think it's gotta be there.

Pictures show inside of unit, and CU of where the water pools and leaks.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions most welcome. Gracias!  Max

IMG_6670.jpeg

IMG_6671.jpeg

Hi Linda! Didn't know there was such a thing as an "air conditioner seal on top" cuz there was never any indication (or even remnants) of one when I purchased my RV. I've removed  the top cover numerous times to make small repairs and it just been the top cover and nothing along the perimeter :)  The AC units a Brisk Air, btw.  I think I'll order the seal today.  You reckon this one will work?

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-3310718-006-Conditioner-Mounting-Gasket/dp/B005BOQSEW/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=brisk+air+seal&qid=1637958878&s=automotive&sr=1-2

A little hint the gasket kit comes with a single long strip the original most likely is missing the long strip fits under the rear of the AC don't throw it away!  Linda knows where it goes most people don't this has the benefit of making the AC unit a lot quieter too. Actually they only are good for maybe 5 years before they a squished flat again. you will not believe how flat it is when you replace it!

I've actually thought of removing the rooftop AC unit too, but the Austin summers, which are intense and darn near oppressive, have kept me from pulling it off and sealing the RV opening. The only thing stopping me is (when not traveling), is I live in my RV back home for about 6 months :)  The AC unit's loud, but still produces a good amount of cold air and plenty of summertime relief. Now I gotta get work and seal the unit to stop the leak.  I'm in Santa Fe and only have a handful of sunny days of good weather left to do it! 

Hi Linda! Can you please pass along a link to where one might purchase a  "small portable AC unit" like your. Amazon perhaps?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I bought it years ago and they no longer make them that small. Mine is a 5000btu Haier. Best I can say is just search for small portable air conditioner and see what's available now. Considering how much you use it sealing your existing AC seems like the best option

Linda S

It may seem like a big job to replace the seal but it's really not. Remove the inside cover. You'll see 4 nuts to remove in the corners. Remove them. They are on an all thread rod. You may have to completely unscrew them. Unplug the A/C from the ceiling unit.  Go on top and push the A/C on it's side (after removing the cover). You'll see the flattened seal. The toughest part is making sure you completely remove the seal. You will have to scrape and work it a bit. Put the new one on. You should see where the rear one goes. It's not quite as important to get it all.

Put it back together. After having done one I likely could do another in an hour or two. 

Best Buy has a bunch of them around. If you get one with a single exhaust hose, follow Lindas install...https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-250-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-white/6393188.p?skuId=6393188

Whynter makes some small 2 hose units...https://www.bestbuy.com/site/whynter-350-sq-ft-portable-air-conditioner-white/1269556.p?skuId=1269556

Single vs dual hose...https://airconditionerlab.com/single-hose-vs-dual-hose-portable-ac/

Edited by WME