Hello all,

1986 22re Mini Cruiser here. I'm planning another 6,000 mile trip. I'd like to carry some hoses and belts with me. I have the belts but am confused on the hoses. The guy at Autozone told me "upper and lower radiator hoses PLUS the heater hose." When I search autozone it says radiator and heater hose are the same? Do I need two or three hoses?

20211026_085156.jpg

If you blow a hose, your toast. When were the hoses replaced? All new hoses is the way to go. Beware that there is a short seldom changed hose under the alternator. MAKE sure it gets changed.

Belts are a different story, carry spares.

Total emergency stuff, a set of ladies nylons can become an emergency fan belt, a length of bicycle inner tube wrapped around the hose split and a bunch of hose clamps can do for a hose. Losen the radiator cap.

Thank you. Do you have a link for that seldom changed hose please or a name? If I go to autozone and say I'd like the seldom changed hose under the alternator he'll probably treat me like a Martian and send me away. 

Ive been toyless for a long time. All I remember is that I changed all the hoses I could see and that hidden one was the one that split.

Get a flash light and look for it. I think it is connected to the long steel pipe that's part of the heater flow.

Radiator hose is much larger diameter than heater hose. You should have an upper and lower radiator hose. Heater hose comes in 1/2, 5/8 and 7/8”  I.D. I think Toyota uses 5/8” for heater. Sometimes these hoses have custom bends by the factory to get around objects. I usually buy heater hose by the roll and cut to fit. Ask the parts person to show you the hose diagram for your engine. Heater hose is separate from upper and lower radiator hose.

• 2 weeks later...

the bottom radiator hose on the 22re is a two pices affair . one too the block. too a pipe and one from the pipe too the radiator. so yes 3 pices including the top hose .