Patching under cab aluminum

Mackcm

Well, the time has come to patch the over cab leak on my new to me 1990 itasca spirit. Unfortunately there is a fair amount of corrosion on the aluminum on the “floor” part of the over cab bed. Any tips on patching it? Or do I need to replace the aluminum sheet completely? If so, anyone know what material is best for replacement?

91E586D3-238F-4018-989F-C5C3360320CD.jpeg

what you see here is a small hole near the windshield(unpatched) Abd then the previous owners silicone patch job.

Edited by Mackcm

I bought a sheet of automotive grade, pre-painted metal from Johnson's RV Surplus in White Pigeon Michigan for 50 bucks or so. I'd call them and ask about having it shipped to you. 

This place has pre-painted aluminum siding sheets. Don't know how much shipping would cost but Idaho is relatively close to you. You would buy the length that most closely matches the width of your motorhome and you would have 49 inches for the curve up the front. Don't know if that's enough but you could measure it.

Trailer Aluminum (mirageinc.com)

Linda S

racecar parts places also carry the pre painted aluminum sheets if you have  a speed shop nearby

Thanks all for the responses - I have reached out to several retailers and have either found that it will be $450 to have a single sheet shipped to me, or that they do not take orders for only one sheet. I may be attempting a patching job, will report back!

Sign material places have sheet aluminum in various sizes and thickness's.   Need to  find something close enough to pick up as shipping is expensive.  If that is aluminum might want to consider the new aluminum welding products, that can be done with a propane torch. My neighbor has been experimenting with them and they are impressive! 

Well we usually talk about FRP when bathroom showers are the subject. Something to think about however a 4'x8'x.090"  sheet of white FRP is under $40. It's tough stuff and it doesn't corrode and has no galvanic reaction to aluminum and can been bent.

Just wanted to give a little update. We tore out the aluminum and have decided patching it really isn’t the best long term solution (see photos below for damage). Thankfully the metal frame in the walls blocked rot from getting to any other wood, so we feel comfortable leaving most of the walls as is. Now will just be waiting to pick up the new aluminum sheet (.024” thick, we verified by calling Winnebago yesterday that .06mm was the thickness of the original metal) that we will order from Interstate RV metal and supply in Oregon. Unfortunately they only do will call and aren’t open on weekends so we have to wait for about a week. But happy to have found a solution! I laid out the wood pieces that survived so that we have a pattern, will work on that in the meantime!

EFDBFBBD-2B2E-437E-8503-E8FB5076ADA6.jpeg

887CF334-2886-4E76-A8EF-0E1391FAA09D.jpeg

4D4B4DBD-124C-4576-B927-B8A24D58E868.jpeg

29D91BE8-C464-4D93-A9EA-8CFD217DB0E9.jpeg