Has anyone ever found a 15 or 16 inch wheel to replace the 14 inch on the Toyota Itasca? Also, the only suitable tires I can find is the 195/75R 14.  Would like to find something a little taller.  

Custom 15 inch wheels can be bought from Custom and Commercial Wheel in Bloomington California.

Custom and Commercial Wheel

He started making them for the 4x4 Sunraders in 1986. They will cost probably now about 250 each plus shipping. You can run D load range 215/75/15 tires that will give you a little over an inch increased diameter so taller. 

Almost a 2 thousand dollar investment

Linda S

By the way 195's are not taller than 185r14. The 185's don't have an aspect ratio in the label but it in fact it comes to about 82 which makes it a relatively tall tire for the size

This tire will fit on your existing wheels and still give you an extra inch of diameter. Lots of people will say they are too wide and will rub but they won't. Just don't try to run them at a low pressure

Federal ECOVAN ER02 205/14 (300D4AFE) | Onlinetires.com | Vernon, California

These are one of the most popular commercial tires in Europe

Linda S

I'm looking for an original metal valve stem (or aftermarket metal valve stem) for my spare tire which has a rubber stem.  Any recommendations please? I have a 1993 Winne Warrior.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like the supply chain problems have made all the tires I would have recommended out of stock. To handle the weight with a single tire in the back it helps to increase the tire size. This is what I would have recommended

Ranger R101 Light Truck/SUV Highway All Season Tire by Thunderer Tires Passenger Tire Size 205-14 - Performance Plus Tire

This one is still in stock but just barely

Maxxis Bravo UE-168, 205R14, 109/107Q, D (8 Ply) (prioritytire.com)

Expensive but they are very good tires

For wheels your just shopping for a Toyota truck. 14 diameter and 5 to 7 inches wide. I'd go with 6. 5x4.5 lug pattern with a low offset. 

There have been snow tires available in the past but none now. All season is the best your going to do. AT tires are another option but finding them in a D load range is rare. Again the only one I like is out of stock

Haida Puma HD818, 215/75R14, 104/101Q, D (8 Ply) (prioritytire.com)

Upgrading to 15 inch wheels is also an option but don't know what's available in that size.

Be a good idea to get your rig weighed so you know what max load you require. you will need the weight of the front and the back and the total

Linda S

Any wheel with a 5x4.5 lug pattern will work. Summit Racing has white steel wagon wheels in 15” for about $60 each.

I’m running Thunderer 402’s in size 195/70R-15C from simple tire. They’re about $115 each. Great tires, I’m on my second set now. Highly recommend. The 195/70 diameter tire is very close to your 185/14 you have now.

Edited by fred heath

Thanks @linda s so I can run these tires on all 4? Do you recommend a specific wheel for these? Is steel or aluminum better? What’s the hub bore and offset? If I replace all the tires is there a reason to change the front wheels or can I keep those and just swap out the foolies and all tires?  Really appreciate all the info on this great site!!

14’s will work fine in your case. Any 14” wheel with 5x4.5 bolt hole will work. There is no special offset required. You only need to be sure the center hole is large enough to fit flat to the hub. The white wagon wheels fit perfect. Your wheels are “lug centric” as opposed to “hub centric” so you don’t need a Toyota factory wheel.

cheapest route for you would be to buy 2 of the white wagon wheels I mentioned in my prior post, 14” rather than 15”. Buy (4) 14” matching ABS hub caps of your choice. New wheels on the back, new tires and matching hubcaps all around and you’ll be styling 🙂.

Edited by fred heath

Absolutely you can run those tires on all wheels. A standard Toyota 14 inch 5 lug wheel will do the trick. Your in the bay area, pick and pulls galore. If you want nicer looking ones Ebay or Amazon will have them or any local tire and wheel shop. 

Linda S

15’s May give you a bigger selection but not enough to be worth the expense of upgrading.

Your wheel wells are going to determine how large a diameter tire you can use. Factory 185/14 is about 25 1/2” diameter. Largest usable diameter is about 27”. This is an estimate. The closer you can stay to original 25 1/2 the better.

I’m using 15” on the rear because I upgraded my axle. I need 8 lug rims. They don’t make 8 lug in 14” or I would have used them.

I like the wagon wheels because they’re new, clean and relatively inexpensive. You could go to a pick and pull but by the time you factor in your labor plus wheel cost it might not be worth it. IMHO

Problem finding snow tires is the max load. I looked at both 14 and 15 and couldn't find a heavy duty enough tire. You want to drive in the Sierra's.  Snow tires do not let you get a free pass when chain orders are in effect.  

Linda

Thanks @linda s  yeah, will have chains as well, but not always required if you

have snow tires:

Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

1 hour ago, 78SR said:

The tires alone are 27.7 inch diameter. Add an additional inch or more for chains, I don’t think it’s going to work.

Before you buy anything, measure your rear wheel wells front to back. Subtract 1 inch. That’s the MAXIMUM tire diameter you can use. Don’t forget to add for the chains.

If you never try to travel when chains required yeah I love those tires. Super traction has a lower max load. You'd be running it close 

Weigh your rig. I can find you 14 inch AT tires but the load rating is always an issue.

Linda 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:27 AM, linda s said:

@Linda thanks!! About to buy 5 of these, can you recommend single wheels to replace the duallies for these tires, i just want to replace the rear ones since I already have front two plus spare.

are the dually rims worth anything to anyone?

On 11/6/2021 at 10:27 AM, linda s said:

@linda sI bought these as you recommended and was expecting to have them delivered tomorrow, but just got an email saying they are out of stock and that i’ll be getting a refund…so back to square 1. Are these the next best option: https://www.prioritytire.com/thunderer-ranger-r101-steer-195r14-106-104p-d-8-ply-as-a-s-all-season-tire/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplpN1084921-99&sc_intid=N1084921-99&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrJOMBhCZARIsAGEd4VGBHIOta-XQW-SBTncDrlMH5-Lz7Io9StV9jdWGnQTJjXY741KBAQsaAsDSEALw_wcB

thanks!

-Benjamin