Fuel pump relay, 1984 Nissan Sunrader

GothicSunrader

1984 Nissan Sunrader, 90,000 miles, cranks but fuel pump is not receiving 12v. Fuse is good and has 12v on it, both sides.  Assuming it is the relay under the passenger dash area to right of glove box.  I applied 12v externally to fuel pump to prove it works and the rig will start up when I do this.  

The tricky thing is the problem goes away for spells.  Then one fine day the rig just won’t start, again.  

Right now if I turn key to On but not crank, I hear a click in the fuel pump relay. So that seems like it is working, but then again the RV starts now too, so that’s not surprising. 

Below is a pin out of the relay.  6 wires come into it.    Would someone explain how this thing works?  Why 6 wires?  DF590D3A-187C-4868-B266-0440077F3CFC.jpeg.30c80d09c45b51a94e83dadab9e99781.jpeg Can they go intermittently bad?  

I’m concerned  if I just change the relay out I will be changing out a perfectly good part and the problem actually resides in a faulty wire somewhere.  Any suggestions on how to proceed.  

It sounds like a ground issue. Can’t comment directly about Nissan system but if you hear the relay engage and the system works most of the time I’d look at my grounds. Especially the one for the pump. Some ground to the tank itself. Some in the harness.