1985 Toyota Huntsman - Is it worth it?

SupaKat

Hello All!

My grandparents owned a 1985 Toyota Huntsman that they purchased new in 1985. They drove it all over the USA and had many adventures. However, it has sat in my grandma's driveway since my grandpa's death in 2011. According to my grandma, there was nothing wrong with it when it was parked at that time. Unsurprisingly, it will not start now.

I am considering trying to have it repaired. However, I am getting a lot of confusing information from the RV repair facilities that I call.

I have no experience with renovating RVs, but I love the idea of it. I am not a mechanic or repairman, but also not afraid of learning and watching Youtube videos when needed.

My question for all of you is...is it worth it? Do you think that an RV like this can be repaired and on the road SAFELY for a reasonable (5K or less) investment? Where do I even start?

Right now, it seems like the best option is to look into the mechanical side of the engine first and then proceed from there with the actual interior/RV portion. Do you know of any reputable mechanics in the Houston area that are skilled with this type of RV?

Great idea getting it back on the road. Should be easy getting it back running, then looking over the coach. $5k is a high estimate I would say. Good luck have fun 

Biggest potential drawback will be the rear axle. If you have 6 lugs and a protruding hub you’re good. If only 5 lug nuts the axle is unsafe and will need to be upgraded. That can run a few thousand dollars alone.

Is the vehicle being given to you? or are you purchasing? If free, you could justify the axle upgrade.

Lot of us have been in your shoes, to some degree. Making the decision to take the plunge should depend on a number of factors: your finances, your skills and willingness to learn, your time and health, and (very important!) the current condition of the Huntsman. (If you're wanting an opinion on the wisdom of restoring your specific vehicle and a possible estimate of costs, etc, then better post several good photos of exterior/interior.) And, always a good idea to post new questions under a new thread in the right section of the forum.

Tons of information right here, YouTube, and elsewhere, but I'll just highlight a few items that I've found important:

-Your RV is a basic Toyota Cab & Chassis Pickup with a flimsy, super-tiny house on the back of it. Pretty much everything in the cab, under the hood, and in the drivetrain is standard vintage Toyota truck stuff—everything else is the "coach" and is made up of wood/foamboard/fiberglass/plastic/screws/staples/tons-of-adhesive (and some metal, if you're lucky!).

-RVs have two different electrical systems: 120V like a house (powered by shore connection or generator) and the 12V system (powered by a deep cycle battery or the "converter" when plugged into shore power). Typically, roof AC is 120V, along with the microwave, IF you have either of those—while most everything else is 12V, including fans, lights, water pump, etc. Propane is used for furnace, hot water heater, stove, and some fridges.

-Tires and axles are a big deal, in terms of safety. The full floating rear axle is a must (Google if you haven't already)—other can chime in about your specific model. Our tires are an unusual size that most tire shops don't carry; they need to be rated for the load, and they should be replaced, regardless of tread, if older than 7 years.

-Water damage is the bane of these vehicles and can be difficult or expensive to correct. Repairing leaks and keeping everything sealed is an ongoing task that doesn't really end. If you can find a way to keep yours covered—or a roof to park under—that will help a great deal.

-Newbies are often surprised by the amount of racket, roughness, and side-to-side sway that are typical in these vehicles, especially in windy conditions or on bad roads. And these motorhomes are crazy SLOW 😀

There is a lot to love about these campers but it is important to learn the facts about ownership of one. Very different from most motorhomes you see out there. You won't be towing anything substantial with it, it is incapable of going fast so you have to be a patient driver,  at stock the vehicle is about the maximum recommended weight capacity, factors like wind speed and hills become something you will be paying attention to because it effects the speed and performance of these dramatically, bumpy is the norm and you accept it.  Most models are prone to leaks as was stated above. Hiring for service and repair is very expensive. Your sitting motor will need investment regardless of the mileage. The 22r and re motors are not that difficult to work on if you have some mechanical aptitude and there is a lot of info out there. DIY is the way to make it worth it. 

So to help you better show us a picture o the rear wheel with no wheel cover. A lot of Huntsman's were not upgraded. The some pics of the camper would be good. Is the shell damaged, did it have water leakage etc. Getting the engine running well is probably going to be far cheaper than repairing a severely damaged camper section. Lots of smart people here who can help

Linda S

I went and looked at one that had sat for years. I wasn't even interested as a complete gut. It even had the F.F. axle. 

So.......as noted more info is needed. It could very well be worth it or it could cost more than finding a decent one to start with. 

Put a battery in it and hit it with some starting fluid to see if it fires. It's highly unlikely to run until the fuel system has thoroughly been cleaned. 

4 hours ago, john*thomas said:

I went and looked at one that had sat for years. I wasn't even interested as a complete gut. It even had the F.F. axle. 

So.......as noted more info is needed. It could very well be worth it or it could cost more than finding a decent one to start with. 

Put a battery in it and hit it with some starting fluid to see if it fires. It's highly unlikely to run until the fuel system has thoroughly been cleaned. 

I just started working on one that I purchased like 10 years ago, it was running when I got it, but it sat in my own yard for years, the first thing to go on it was the fuel pump, then the starter quit while it was sitting. The fuel system was totally fine, surprisingly. My friend did pull the tank and check it out, it wasn't that much work, but, my buddy that did it is small, and could easily fit under the thing. The most annoying part was trying to get the system primed again, but even that was fine. I will tell you that it is worth it to me, but that's because I got it for very cheap and I like Toyotas. It really is all about how much time and money you have to throw at the project, if you just want a camper, I would look at something new, if you really like the Yotas, and want a largish project, go for it.