In the past, I've noticed quite a bit of heat coming off the transmission tunnel and across the whole cab floor in general. So, last month, prior to heading to the Deep South on our biggest excursion of the year, I decided to pull up the original gray vinyl stuff in the cab and add some more heat/sound insulation. (I was surprised by how little was in that area from the factory... pretty bare bones setup under there!)

I went with a single roll (36 sq.ft.) of this Siless 157 mil product and a roller, plus some foil tape for the seams. The Siless stuff is like a big, rolled-up sheet of weather-stripping and not the easiest thing to work with, although it does cut nicely with scissors. It basically cannot be repositioned once it touches the surface, due to some very strong adhesive, so I found it worked best to cut roughly 12" x 12" squares and piece them closely together, rolling every inch firmly into the underlying sheet metal, and taping the seams. I splurged and did double-thicknesses all over the tunnel, too.

I also ripped out the last scrap of the original, filthy "Pine Mist" carpet that lined the back of the cab and replaced with new, gray low-pile stuff. Very happy with that update.

We just returned from our trip and, while the sound dampening improvement is hard to distinguish, the insulation made a huge difference in terms of heat coming off the floor: it's just slightly warm to the touch now, where it used to be surprisingly hot. Wish I'd had an infrared gun to measure the difference, before and after, cause it's very significant.

Insulation Installed - Before Taping

IMG_4629.jpeg.c09ada0968b1f334a069d14179dc879e.jpeg

Finishing Up

IMG_4641.jpeg.da1bb7e4128e67d6bf2c344d2c072b6f.jpeg

Install Tip: If you've never had the seats out, you'd better hit those bolts first with plenty of PB Blaster and/or use a torch on them from underneath the truck.

Edited by Ctgriffi

Yeah it works I did the same to my Tacoma a couple of years ago not some much for the heat as the noise level.

• 8 months later...

I have already removed my passenger seat, overall in very good condition even if half it's 38 years....except for the underside. The springs have disinterested, leaving only their oxidized stained imprint in the foam, otherwise I wouldn't be able to say for certain what should be there🤔 

Auto upholstery usually uses zig zag springs like this

15" Upholstery Spring Replacement- 4pk with Z Clips Wire for Furniture Decoration,Chair Couch Repair,Automotive and Others

They are not expensive and you just cut to fit and reinstall if your connecters are still sound. If connecters have rusted out you may be able to reinstall new ones. All the work can be done from the bottom so no need to remove fabric. Add new foam before you replace springs. Probably be easier to find some decent seats at a salvage yard. People have used seats from 4runners, Camrys, Kias and few a other vehicles

Linda S