Adding an additional onboard battery to be connected in parallel. Should they be identical?

ATXBreeze

Thanks everyone! Got my answer to my title qduestion: "Adding an additional onboard battery to be connected in parallel. Should they be identical?" 

YES!

Edited by ATXBreeze
Got my answer :)

For Max performance the batteries should be the same. Size, voltage, date. If you mix these up with the batteries in parallel the weakest/smallest will control the charger. If the budget allows for 2 new batteries look at a pair of 6v golf cart batteries. Charging 2ea  6v batteries in series acts like one large 12v battery.  Sam's has the HD EGC-2 for $125 EA. 

As things go usually more $$ up front means longer battery life in the RV. Batteries come in 3 basic flavors. Flooded Cell (lead acid), AGM (Absorbed glass mat) and Lithium (LiPo4).  In that order the $$ doubles going from one level to the next level.

Edited by WME

Yes they should match both 24 or both 27's You will need a good smart charger for best results There are but a few flooded cell batteries manufactures in the US (like 3 or 4) so don't let the name fool your decision. I run a camper all most totally self contained with 2 batteries and a home made portable framed 100 watt solar panel that I can elevate and rotate on the ground.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

Yes they should match both 24 or both 27's You will need a good smart charger for best results There are but a few flooded cell batteries manufactures in the US (like 3 or 4) so don't let the name fool your decision. I run a camper all most totally self contained with 2 batteries and a home made portable framed 100 watt solar panel that I can elevate and rotate on the ground.

also beware super good deals. often you will find a whimpy battery in agood case(wally world)  

Actually have had pretty good luck with Walmart batteries date marks need pretty good look over though! One of the Walmart batteries on my camper is 6 years old just did a load test on the pair for an end of year camping adventure mid month. I do leave my batteries on a smart charger year round that seems to make a difference in longevity instead of all most dead to full charge when needed.

Yeah me too for the Walmart batteries. Thought they might be discontinuing them a while back because they were almost totally out of stock but that has been replenished. I have never had a Walmart coach battery last less than 5 years. Bought an Autozone  truck battery when Walmart didn't have what I needed and that lasted a whole 4 months. Got my money back and went to Walmart. Also the first time I replaced my truck battery I discovered it was 11 years old. It too was from Walmart

Linda S

always use the maintainer. these things are not meant to go from dead to full charge