Question regarding electrical....

cucklorde666

On 10/2/2021 at 9:06 PM, WME said:

OK we'll start with what you think you want...

Lipo battery your choice 2x the price for the same capacity 200ah. Just make sure that the battery has a built in BMS, absolutely critical with Lipo4 batteries. Most of us are way to cheap to use LiPo4 batteries of any brand. An AGM battery is a good middle technology battery and some of us use them. NOTE flooded cell and AGM batteries recommended that for Max battery life you do not discharge below 50% of capacity.  A liPo4 battery can be safely be discharged to 95% of capacity. Thus a 200 ah AGM is really a 100 ah battery

Basic rule 1w of solar per 1 AH of battery. So you will need a minimum of 200w of solar. 300w would be better for a flat roof mount. NOTE a flat roof mount is about 30% less effective than an angled mount.

So you need Mono panels and an Mppt, Lipo safe controller. 

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-Panels-Controller-Trailer-Projects/dp/B096LJNR99/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=300w+solar+kit+mppt&qid=1633218828&s=automotive&sr=1-6

Add another 100w panel if you want.

As others have said that's way to much generator. 125 lbs vs 40lbs for a Champion dual fuel 2500w generator. Your generator choice is NOT an inverter generator and will burn 2x the fuel and make 2x the noise.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-200961-Ultralight/dp/B08L45W2V9/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=champion+generator&qid=1633219928&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Next you need a new converter for the 12v/lipo charging when your hooked up to shore power.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Dynamics-PD9160ALV-Lithium-Center/dp/B07DP3X16F/ref=pb_allspark_dp_sims_pao_desktop_session_based_3/145-8204179-6959046?pd_rd_w=rsP15&pf_rd_p=e896123b-6614-49c5-873e-d532e726c2f0&pf_rd_r=Z0CHVG4H2E49JRFZBQGQ&pd_rd_r=c971baf7-1323-4c8a-ab13-63a381f20815&pd_rd_wg=vz3r9&pd_rd_i=B07DP3X16F&psc=1

A pure sine wave inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Inverter-Battery-Converter-Saving/dp/B07H9SXV61/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2MZ5ICM2YWL11&dchild=1&keywords=2000w+inverter+pure+sine+wave&qid=1633220787&s=automotive&sprefix=2000w+inverter%2Cautomotive%2C742&sr=1-4 

To prevent having to plug in and unplug your AC powered stuff while using the inverter, you can hard wire it through an ATS.

amazon.com/Technology-Research-41300-Transfer-Switch/dp/B00IYUPRUG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1523J4KRFPDTU&dchild=1&keywords=30+amp+ats+transfer+switch&qid=1633224233&sprefix=30+amp+ATS%2Caps%2C644&sr=8-4

The 2500w generator will run this AC unit.
amazon.com/RecPro-Conditioner-Profile-Non-Ducted-Cooling/dp/B08QZSSN7Q/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1FTEHQGCAQSML&dchild=1&keywords=rv+ac+unit&qid=1633221487&s=automotive&sprefix=rv+ac%2Cautomotive%2C587&sr=1-5

We have already gone over your TV and computer needs

so could i run that solar kit with AGM batteries?

Everything on the list would work, EXECPT the lipo converter.

Post some pictures of your converter/power center, it may be useable with an AGM battery.

If it's to old you can replace the complete power center or just up grade the power supply.

Power center 45 amp...https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF8945PEC-WF-8900-Converter-Charger/dp/B00K8D9HJ4/ref=sr_1_17?crid=2SKE6B0ZXKLLQ&dchild=1&keywords=rv+converter+charger&qid=1633791577&sprefix=rv%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-17

Power supply 45 amp...https://www.amazon.com/Powermax-Supply-Converter-Charger-Pm3-45/dp/B00F8MC42C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SKE6B0ZXKLLQ&dchild=1&keywords=rv+converter+charger&qid=1633791774&sprefix=rv%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-5

Both are 45 amp. 3 stage chargers. Boost, Normal and float. 

The recommended charge rate for the 200ah AMG battery Linda posted would be 20 amps (C/10) the fast charge rate is 40 amps (C/20). So 45 amps is enough

If you go old skool these would work with 2 6v golf cart batteries

2 hours ago, WME said:

Everything on the list would work, EXECPT the lipo converter.

Post some pictures of your converter/power center, it may be useable with an AGM battery.

If it's to old you can replace the complete power center or just up grade the power supply.

Power center 45 amp...https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF8945PEC-WF-8900-Converter-Charger/dp/B00K8D9HJ4/ref=sr_1_17?crid=2SKE6B0ZXKLLQ&dchild=1&keywords=rv+converter+charger&qid=1633791577&sprefix=rv%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-17

Power supply 45 amp...https://www.amazon.com/Powermax-Supply-Converter-Charger-Pm3-45/dp/B00F8MC42C/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SKE6B0ZXKLLQ&dchild=1&keywords=rv+converter+charger&qid=1633791774&sprefix=rv%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-5

Both are 45 amp. 3 stage chargers. Boost, Normal and float. 

The recommended charge rate for the 200ah AMG battery Linda posted would be 20 amps (C/10) the fast charge rate is 40 amps (C/20). So 45 amps is enough

If you go old skool these would work with 2 6v golf cart batteries

wonderful! Thanks for all the help!

So my champion inverter generator 2500 came in yesterday but I got to thinking and I would like a way to charge my batteries while chilling and I read about utilizing a small solar setup for that purpose.

Could i use the 200w kit listed above to do that?

Of course that's what solar is all about, why else would you have it.

You will have 3 ways to charge your battery.

Driving the RV can charge your battery at around 30 amps max.

Your generator can direct charge your battery at around 3 amps, using the generator to power a modern converter it will charge around 40 amps.

The solar kit would have an average charge rate of 8 amps, at high noon it will make 11 amps

The AGM battery Linda listed has a useful capacity of 100 amp hours. Do the math.  1 amp x 1 hour = 1AH. So the 8 amps from the solar panel x 8 hours = 64 AH a day

Making your solar kit a 300w setup you would make about 96 AH daily, so you would have a fully charged battery at sunset with no need to run the generator. Charging your computer and cell phone would require around 10 AH daily

The generator is really only need to run the roof AC or Microwave

Just now, WME said:

Of course that's what solar is all about, why else would you have it.

You will have 3 ways to charge your battery.

Driving the RV can charge your battery at around 30 amps max.

Your generator can direct charge your battery at around 3 amps, using the generator to power a modern converter it will charge around 40 amps.

The solar kit would have an average charge rate of 8 amps, at high noon it will make 11 amps

The AGM battery Linda listed has a useful capacity of 100 amp hours. Do the math.  1 amp x 1 hour = 1AH. So the 8 amps from the solar panel x 8 hours = 64 AH a day

Making your solar kit a 300w setup you would make about 96 AH daily, so you would have a fully charged battery at sunset with no need to run the generator. Charging your computer and cell phone would require around 10 AH daily

The generator is really only need to run the roof AC or Microwave

so i just need to buy the AGM battery along with that kit you posted correct?

I also see that the kit has an upgraded pack with a Lithium battery.

also how hard are these things to install"?

You need "skills" You have to mount the panels on the roof or build a ground mount, make some holes to bring the panel output wires inside, connect the panels to the controller, connect the controller to the battery. Add fuses, program the controller. Build a larger battery box. 

The kit battery is only 20 AH, also you can't mix lipo and AGM.

We still need to know what converter you have, to design a balanced system.

AH is amp hours, the size of the  battery "gas tank". Most RV batteries are rated at a 20 hour rate. This means a 200 AH battery will discharge 10 amps for 20 hours until 10.5 v is reached, a 20 AH battery will discharge 1 amp for 20 hr. 

10.5v is considered a fully discharged AGM battery.

13 hours ago, WME said:

You need "skills" You have to mount the panels on the roof or build a ground mount, make some holes to bring the panel output wires inside, connect the panels to the controller, connect the controller to the battery. Add fuses, program the controller. Build a larger battery box. 

The kit battery is only 20 AH, also you can't mix lipo and AGM.

We still need to know what converter you have, to design a balanced system.

AH is amp hours, the size of the  battery "gas tank". Most RV batteries are rated at a 20 hour rate. This means a 200 AH battery will discharge 10 amps for 20 hours until 10.5 v is reached, a 20 AH battery will discharge 1 amp for 20 hr. 

10.5v is considered a fully discharged AGM battery.

47D414BC-13B6-4BC7-8B98-983216D2340A.jpeg

A59CA1B7-AA62-4642-A91B-3EE284539B3B.jpeg

67232E1B-BB10-441D-8CB0-C11EA1E23A70.jpeg

714DA1BF-373F-4ADE-BE01-23526FFDEE7B.jpeg

2C5A94B1-ECD2-4206-988A-146E8FA86FEA.jpeg

Simple question first, did you get the roof AC running when plugged into shore power?

Your power panel/converter is old, but it's not ancient. Powered by 115v shore power (or a generator) it would take 4 or 5 hr to recharge 50% discharged 200ah battery.

Use it and see if it will do what you want. If your unhappy, then upgrade to a 45 or 55 amp modern 4 stage converter.  The converter you have is known to have bad noise on the 12v  DC side and it can make the electronics on the TV , computer power supplies  and radios unhappy

The last photo in the converter pic's post is a water pump and is something else for a later discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a pic of my generator located on the outside underneath the panel….

When I try and fire it up it putters for a min then shuts off… guessing maybe needs some oil? Previous owners didn’t say much however the champion 2500 generator is to big to replace it in its spot.

82F85544-5EDB-4511-8A83-EA5055223576.jpeg

Onan microlite 2800. Depending on how old it is, I’m betting a bad fuel pump or a Gunked  up carburetor.

pull the fuel hose from the carburetor and place inside an old water bottle or similar catch item. Crank the generator and see if you’re getting fuel. If not, check the two glass fuses 5a behind twist caps on the face of the control panel. If they’re ok, and still no fuel it’s probably the pump or clogged filter. If you’re getting fuel, it’s most likely the carburetor. There are instructions online for cleaning. I ended up buying a new carburetor. They’re not cheap. About $250

I kind of remember the fuel system have an electric fuel shut off valve. That generator is far superior to any after market unit. It is designed to run in an enclosed space, it exhausts out the bottom of the RV both engine exhaust and hot air. Running a portable generator enclosed in an RV is dangerous.

1 hour ago, Maineah said:

I kind of remember the fuel system have an electric fuel shut off valve. That generator is far superior to any after market unit. It is designed to run in an enclosed space, it exhausts out the bottom of the RV both engine exhaust and hot air. Running a portable generator enclosed in an RV is dangerous.

My 1988 install has no such fuel shutoff feature. It does have a low oil pressure shut off. This might be what you’re thinking about.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

My 1988 install has no such fuel shutoff feature. It does have a low oil pressure shut off. This might be what you’re thinking about.

Generator doesn’t crank anymore when I press the on switch 

Check that your cranking battery is fully charged. Next, If you look at the rear of the chassis you should find a ground lug with a heavy duty ground wire attached. Clean this surface really well. Same with it’s attachment point on the frame. It doesn’t take much(low battery/bad ground) to keep the genset from turning over. Also check both those 5 amp fuses I mentioned earlier. One is for the fuel pump, the other for interior electronics.

11 hours ago, fred heath said:

Check that your cranking battery is fully charged. Next, If you look at the rear of the chassis you should find a ground lug with a heavy duty ground wire attached. Clean this surface really well. Same with it’s attachment point on the frame. It doesn’t take much(low battery/bad ground) to keep the genset from turning over. Also check both those 5 amp fuses I mentioned earlier. One is for the fuel pump, the other for interior electronics.

I checked the fuses and they were both crystal clear looking both the same so I assume they’re Gucci. Thank you for helping because I haven’t a clue about auto mechanics so I really appreciate it. 

oh and my wife pointed out that the house lights don’t turn on anymore so maybe it is the house battery dead?

Everything is hella dirty though

2 hours ago, cucklorde666 said:

I checked the fuses and they were both crystal clear looking both the same so I assume they’re Gucci. Thank you for helping because I haven’t a clue about auto mechanics so I really appreciate it. 

oh and my wife pointed out that the house lights don’t turn on anymore so maybe it is the house battery dead?

Everything is hella dirty though

I suspect the house battery is dead. Remove and take to someplace like auto zone. They test batteries for free. While you’re at it, clean all electrical contacts and grounds in the battery compartment.

Edited by fred heath

5 hours ago, fred heath said:

I suspect the house battery is dead. Remove and take to someplace like auto zone. They test batteries for free. While you’re at it, clean all electrical contacts and grounds in the battery compartment.

Okay!

I also ordered a renology deep cycle 12V 100aH AGM battery for my solar panels and it’ll be in Friday. Couldn’t j just replace that house battery with that?

I know nothing about solar. WME will probably be able to answer that question. Personally, I prefer a dedicated battery for normal 12V coach operations.

2 hours ago, cucklorde666 said:

Okay!

I also ordered a renology deep cycle 12V 100aH AGM battery for my solar panels and it’ll be in Friday. Couldn’t j just replace that house battery with that?

Uh yes, again that's what it's all about. Your house battery is your solar battery. The solar panel, truck engine running, or plugged into shore power will charge it. Your getting a AGM battery so your current battery is useless.

Your current converter is probably not correct for an AGM battery.

Did you ever get the AC running??  Dis you ever find your shore power cord for the coach. And now it seems that you have two generators. I know your in a hurry, but you need to cool your jets and take logical steps.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

18 hours ago, WME said:

Uh yes, again that's what it's all about. Your house battery is your solar battery. The solar panel, truck engine running, or plugged into shore power will charge it. Your getting a AGM battery so your current battery is useless.

Your current converter is probably not correct for an AGM battery.

Did you ever get the AC running??  Dis you ever find your shore power cord for the coach. And now it seems that you have two generators. I know your in a hurry, but you need to cool your jets and take logical steps.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

I plan on buying another agm battery. I also got the renology 200w mppt kit. I don’t need ac anymore so just got a maxxairfan, and I just bought a tiny solar generator (jackery 250) which actually charges all my shit 

OK 2 AGM batteries. 

Go to here and see if you have the skills to upgrade your converter to deal with AGM batteries.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Magnetek-Upgrade_ep_26-1.html

10 hours ago, WME said:

OK 2 AGM batteries. 

Go to here and see if you have the skills to upgrade your converter to deal with AGM batteries.

https://www.bestconverter.com/Magnetek-Upgrade_ep_26-1.html

it’s saying AGM is compatible and almost a drop in for a lead battery, why would I need a new converter?

I couldn't find where the 6325 magnetek was AGM comparable. If that's what it says then your good. There should be an adjustment to change the charging voltages.

The float voltage for a lead acid battery is 13.2v, the float voltage for an AGM is 13.5. Using an AGM on a lead acid charger means it will never be fully charged. 

If you set your solar controller for an AGM battery it might take the AGM to full charge with enough time. 

P.S. IMPORTANT  Please check your ac outlet markings on the Jackery. IN checking out the Jackery on the internet I foundthat the 250 is a euro model with 240v ac out, the 240 is a US version with 110v ac.

my son spent all winter in a brand new 35 foot four seasons package pull trailer here  in washington st  said he burned 100 gallons of propane a month in the winter months.

So my jackery ended up being a 240 and works perfect with my renology mppt 100w setup!

Now i just have to try and figure out the AGM battery situation, but in the meantime got just a regular old lead 12volt from autozone when i went to get my previous battery tested... (which was dead as a doornail btw!).

Also got my champion generator running as we speak charging my house battery (hopefully)

As far as things to do I still need to figure out my house battery situation (AGM vs LEAD), the water system (hot water, about the tanks, etc...), and finally when plugged into my generator i keep hearing this clicking sound almost like a pilot light but only when plugged into my generator.

what is it?

Why are you running a generator to charge your house battery??? The power panel you posted in pictures will charge the battery at 25 amps.

Just plug in your RV power cord to your house.

Your buying a lot of stuff, have you given any thought to how much your RV is going to weigh. You will have to climb mountains, not hills, going from NY to Death Valley. 

The shortest route goes over 11,000 passes. The longer, but flatter route still goes over 7000ft.

Take a look at your trip here...https://www.flattestroute.com/

• 1 year later...

Hello guys! I recently used a leaptrend 3000W inverter that adapts perfectly to all the devices in my car. I was a bit hesitant before this because it's a new brand. I compared the parameters of leaptrend and renogy and found that they are about the same and leaptrend has a lower price. So I took the courage to buy the leaptrend product, and I'm glad I wasn't disappointed.leaptrend 3000w inverter

• 3 months later...

Question in regards to "just plug it in" when talking about the shore power and converter....

I recently purchased a 89' dolphin myself and the previous owners have haphazardly wired everything and nothing matches the manual's schematics. Well after some tinkering I got my 12v running off a new lead sealed battery from autozone however i noticed that after a while my lights start to dim and what not despite my engine running and being plugged into a 110 source.

I take it that means my old converter is fucked correct? because shouldnt I just be able to take my shore connection and plug it into any 110 outlet in my rv and that would allow it to recharge? or is there some special outlet i need to be looking for?

been a snooper for a bit now, love the forum yall.

Do you have a volt meter?? A conversation with out you having one is a waste of bandwidth.

Please make a new post in the electrical section. This one is 2 years old and is full of the original posters junk