1984 Toyota Phoenix project

Hi there, 

I don't know how active this forum is, but I purchased and RV almost 10 years ago with the intention of turning it into a fishing rig to be used during the summer time up here in Alaska. I am pretty new to mechanics and already have a ton of questions. for example, what is the death dually and how do I know if that is what I have?

Anyways, I have already started the project and here is the first video, I am working on the next, but I would like to know sooner than later if this project is even viable in relation to the "death dually" situation. Thanks in advance for any help! I really appreciate it and I hope I get to see this project through. 

10 minutes ago, linda s said:

Your axle has already been upgraded to a six lug full floater. No death here. If that's the cabin you built I am very impressed. Tell me that's your plane too and I love you.

Nice video and this site is very active

Linda S

THANK YOU! You just took a huge load off of my mind! That is not my cabin, nor my plane, just some b roll filler footage from around AK. I am very glad that this forum is active. 

Once again, thank you so much for the info on the axel, would you happen to have any links with more detailed info on the subject? I am now interested in how things played out. 

For some reason the axle facts page can't be reached from this site anymore. There is a long thread still there but lots of posts without the to the point info. The important thing to look for is the hub that sticks out of your rear wheels and the 6 lugs. Lugs are 6x7.5, much larger than most wheels. The original axle page is still on this site but your probably going to have to join to see it. 

Microsoft Word - Rear axle faq for Toyota motorhomes.doc (groups.io)

OK so even though I do love a good project I'm sorry to tell you I don't love you anymore. I do require a seaplane for that

Linda S

Sorry forgot to add link

55 minutes ago, linda s said:

For some reason the axle facts page can't be reached from this site anymore. There is a long thread still there but lots of posts without the to the point info. The important thing to look for is the hub that sticks out of your rear wheels and the 6 lugs. Lugs are 6x7.5, much larger than most wheels. The original axle page is still on this site but your probably going to have to join to see it. 

Microsoft Word - Rear axle faq for Toyota motorhomes.doc (groups.io)

OK so even though I do love a good project I'm sorry to tell you I don't love you anymore. I do require a seaplane for that

Linda S

Sorry forgot to add link

HAH, well I guess I will have to earn it now! Thanks for the info I will try to check it out on that link. I could not find info, but I did not try all that hard, because I knew someone on here would be able to answer right away. Thanks again!

This is by far the best site around for info on these units. It doesn't matter the year, most any issue will be answered here. I have a Nissan but still read here regularly because so much of the info still applies......and besides, I've always liked these little RV's. This site stopped me from buying one with the 5 lug axle a few years ago. I was working at the time and didn't have time to mess with swapping it out. 

I'm lucky also as I also have an "Austin" as a friend. I have no idea how my friend knows how to do everything he knows how to do. 

8 hours ago, john*thomas said:

This is by far the best site around for info on these units. It doesn't matter the year, most any issue will be answered here. I have a Nissan but still read here regularly because so much of the info still applies......and besides, I've always liked these little RV's. This site stopped me from buying one with the 5 lug axle a few years ago. I was working at the time and didn't have time to mess with swapping it out. 

I'm lucky also as I also have an "Austin" as a friend. I have no idea how my friend knows how to do everything he knows how to do. 

Thanks for the comment! I agree, after checking out some of the forum topics I think I will find EVERYTHING I need to know on here! Yea, my buddy Austin learned how to wrench at Sears, now he just works independently. I have been wanting to get this project off the ground for years! I am so excited. 

I just want the whole system empty as to avoid any possible incidents... Earlier this summer I was remodeling a mobile home in Denali, and cut through a 240v live line.... the fireworks and small fire were pretty incredible, the melted sawsall blade was also pretty neat, but the experience did cause me to think twice about how to handle the yota propane tank. I have quite a bit more demolition to do and just feel better about the whole situation with the tank and lines empty. 

If the thing weren't so rat poopy, I would have cooked some meals in there!

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone! I had not given this project any thought in a while, the winter came and stopped me in my tracks. As spring approaches, I started thinking about her again. 

I will share a bit of an interesting story;

I managed to lose the title, couldn't find it anywhere. As I was cleaning her out, I found an insurance stub in the glove box, complete with the previous owner's name! I was able to track him down, and found out that he is actually a state representative here. I emailed his office, as well as left a phone message. One of his staff responded to both, and we managed to work out getting a copy of the title! It took a long time, simply because Alaska is Alaska, but I have the title in hand once again! 

Hoping to knock the project out ASAP, but we shall see how that goes! 

ANYWAYS here is part 3, please let me know what your thoughts are, thanks in advance. 

https://youtu.be/YSzf0D4n2s0

Edited by AKPirate

Both are fun ideas. Look at your frame extensions as you consider the outdoor patio option. Don't know about your 84 but on my 87 Escaper the frame extensions are not substantial and  were rusty. I reinforced them to accommodate a motorcycle rack. Measure and lay out the size of your patio option on the ground  to get a perspective of how big it would ultimately be. These campers are small so the patio will be small.  Flat bed option with the cab over sleeper would be cool to. Perhaps you could add a covered kitchen area like tear drop campers have against the back of the cab. Will look forward to seeing what you do. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:04 PM, john*thomas said:

Sounds like a lot of work ahead. LOL Having a rear outdoor deck with just a place inside to sleep would be kinda cool. 

Yes, there is some work ahead, I just can't wait to deal with the black water tank removal! I think having a deck out back will be nice, best of both worlds while out on the road. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:42 PM, Scott iv said:

Both are fun ideas. Look at your frame extensions as you consider the outdoor patio option. Don't know about your 84 but on my 87 Escaper the frame extensions are not substantial and  were rusty. I reinforced them to accommodate a motorcycle rack. Measure and lay out the size of your patio option on the ground  to get a perspective of how big it would ultimately be. These campers are small so the patio will be small.  Flat bed option with the cab over sleeper would be cool to. Perhaps you could add a covered kitchen area like tear drop campers have against the back of the cab. Will look forward to seeing what you do. 

Hey thanks for the advice! I read your post about the motorcycle rack and plan on doing the same or something similar, thanks for posting that! Yes, originally I was hoping for the deck to be big enough for a friend to pitch a tent up off the ground, but if I keep the fenders on, there will be no room. I think I will end up with a deck just big enough for 2 camp chairs and a cooking surface. We shall see, thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it! 

There was another camper much like you envision for sale a few years ago. I thought some pics had been posted here but can't find them. He kept the camper portion in front of the rear wheels and the back area became a flatbed or deck. Still had sleeping in the cab over and cooking area inside. Good for porta pottie privacy too. 

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 5:50 AM, linda s said:

THANKS! I was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar idea! Really appreciate the info! 

check craigslist gold country.  $1200  fiberglass mh  86 i think

On 4/2/2022 at 6:04 PM, linda s said:

Like I mentioned there was another one like this for sale in California before those pics were posted. I searched everywhere but I could not find pictures of it, sorry. 

Linda S

No worries, I’d just like to talk to the builders and see more pics, but I’m sure I’ll work it out just fine. Thanks again. 

• 8 months later...

Nice work on the big clean up and salvage. I know what you mean about those chips of plywood after the wood has got wet and dried a bunch of times. The ceiling on mine chipped like that and I had small plywood bits everywhere. Cool to see just the floor of the camper for perspective on its size. 

2 hours ago, linda s said:

I love your video's. Waiting to see what you do with it.

Linda S

Hey thanks! I really appreciate it! I will have another episode ready this week I think. I am just going down the time line in my phone and editing videos as they happened over the summer. 

34 minutes ago, Scott iv said:

Nice work on the big clean up and salvage. I know what you mean about those chips of plywood after the wood has got wet and dried a bunch of times. The ceiling on mine chipped like that and I had small plywood bits everywhere. Cool to see just the floor of the camper for perspective on its size. 

Thanks! MAN! you aren't kidding! Those plywood chips and splinters were CRAZY to clean up. It was pretty much every part of the shell. I agree, with everything removed, I was surprised at how much space there was on the platform.  

HA!

21 hours ago, linda s said:

Oh, the Toyota pics are fine but I'm talking about the mansion on a lake in a former video and you, my imagination, arriving by helicopter. 

Yes, I have quite the imagination. Looking forward to seeing your yacht. 

Linda S

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Scott iv said:

That thing is cool! Nice to see the amount of room when all said and done. 

Hey thanks! Yea, should fit my kayak perfectly, I’ll post in update when it’s all rigged up for camping.