Painting cabinets

86Dolphino

Let me ask everyone. I’ve been considering painting my cabinets in my Rv a nice grey color. But I’m wondering do you think it hurts the value or adds to the value?

So I’m asking all of you what do you think? If you were in the market would you like to see the original wood panel cabinets or nicely painted ones? 

the current condition of mine isn’t perfect but not bad some scuffs here and there, but overall I’d say they are 90%ers

Are you asking because you want to because you would like them painted or just looking at resale? If you want to do it, you should do it.

Now my opinion..........those that have been updated and updated nicely (painted and finished very nicely) seem to be brining good dollars. Either all original in excellent shape or updated in a nice tasteful manner brings the best dollars IMO.

Well I would like them painted, but more than anything I want to keep resale value in mind. 

I think a nicely painted interior looks great. Just keep in mind that your painting over garbage wood . Sand lightly and use a base coat. I don't love primer but I like Kilz products. Seems to protect more from humidity and make the paint last longer. Also think interior decorating. More than one color gray makes it look thought out and decorated. Maybe accent molding or doors. Deeper color on base then lighter doors? You will definitely increase the value with a nice paint job the same as you would a house

Linda S

My only gripe is the people who paint everything white. Boring

Thank you Linda. That all makes sense. I’ll definitely use kilz primer. A accent color does sound like the right thing to do . 

I do have 1 more questions I have tan plastic piping stuff in between the cabinets and the ceiling, would you just cut that out and caulk it in for a nice corner or what? 

1 hour ago, 86Dolphino said:

I do have 1 more questions I have tan plastic piping stuff in between the cabinets and the ceiling, would you just cut that out and caulk it in for a nice corner or what? 

You can buy new welting. Don’t think caulking will look that good.

https://pantherrvproducts.com/hollow-bead-trailer-welt-molding-cabinet-trim-gimp-25-ft-light-brown/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjvHy4rry8gIVm_6zCh2CGAxpEAQYAyABEgKTC_D_BwE

11 minutes ago, fred heath said:

This cabinet trim requires that you remove the cabinets to install it. I painted over the trim in my Nissan. Just taped off the ceiling. You could also try something like this. Cut the old stuff off and put this in the corners for a nice finished look. Already gray

Amazon.com: Instatrim 1/2 Inch (Covers 1/4" Gap) Flexible, Self-Adhesive, Caulk and Trim Strips for Floors, Ceilings, Countertops and More (Gray, 10ft Long, 2 Pack) : Industrial & Scientific

Linda S

Leave the left over trim in between the cabinets. It's there to cushion the cabinets as the coach bumps down the road. Only cut off the bulb

Caulking can be nearly an art form, seems like. And it can make or break the look of many projects.

One trick I've learned, in cases where you have the time and want a near-perfect line: start with a straight, continuous run of masking tape—one piece on each side of the joint—then, after you apply the caulk and tool the joint with a wet fingertip, carefully remove each piece of tape (pulling it at an angle, away from the joint) before the caulk sets up.

I use to paint houses so I’m pretty good at running a clean caulk line with no boogers. Another tip is use a little simple green on your fingers that will help keep it clean.