Propane Tank Recertification

Can an RV Propane tank manufactured in 1992 be recertified?  I recently purchased  1993 Toyota motorhome. Has original propane tank dated 1992. Can it be re-certified here in Los Angeles area?  Thanks.  Marse.

Pretty sure Winnebagos have permanent ASME tanks. If yours doesn't pull out of the RV to refill it it never needs recertification.

They are exempt. Here's label you can print

Sorry that was the wrong label. Know I have one saved somewhere just need to find it

Hi Linda, My 1986 Sun Land Express will I be able to refill its propane tank without a problem? thx, Roger

Depends on what kind of tank it is. DOT tanks have to be taken out of the compartment and stood upright to fill. These tanks are also exempt but lots of places aren't aware of that. Here's a label you can print to put on the tank so they know. If your tank is under the body and not removable yes you can get it filled, they never need recertification. Just make sure it looks clean and not rusted. If you have an upright tank like a barbeque they do need recertification. But if the 5 gallon size all you have to do is stop by Walmart or dozens of other places and exchange it. Voila a new tank

Linda S

I looked at the pic of your rig and there's a small low door right behind the passenger door. Looks like a propane access door to me. That would mean you have a permanent under mount tank

LP Tank non-OPD Label.pdf

• 2 months later...

Hi Linda I am trying to make sense of the last post.  I recently purchased a 1984 sunraider and am redoing it all thanks to this forum and read every where before asking.  my dilema is this, the rig has 2-20# propane tanks . They both have a stamp on the tank itself that seems to been recertified (10  96 E)  they do not have that ez fill valve.  they do look like the standard stand up type but, have the brackets to lay them on their side .. can you please help me sort this out?

The label above explains that they are exempt from recertificaion.  Tanks must be filled upright but layed on side for use. Clean them up, light sanding and spray paint. Tape off valves. Then print label and stick it on. Have no idea how someone got a tank recertified that cant be

Linda S

Well I'm wrong. They do need to be recertified but they don't require OPD valves because there are none available for that kind of tank. Have them recertified at large propane retailer like Suburban or Amerigas.  You can check to see what other places are near you. 

Linda S

Thank you Linda. Did as you wrote.  Painted the tanks and took them to Suburban.  had them filled and saved me some $$ in un needed replacement.  lost track of time.

Laying a vertical tank on it's side that is not designed for it is dangerous. Usually tanks of that type have a frame that puts the off set of the valve on the top of the tank. What that does is put the discharge above the liquid propane level. Liquid propane once the pressure is released expands to an alarming rate it then makes a huge cloud of explosive gas! They do indeed make horizontal 20# tanks but they are a special design.

yea thats the one i got from homies. $135, but out of stock now. they will send you an email when back in stock

replaced my 1972  20 pound            horizontal propane  tank on my 1987 dolphon. with two 11 pound  upright                   squaty   muchroom tanks. they are about half the hgt of a 20 pound bbq tank. work s very well put two new hoses and a tee on the regulator .you might be able too find some of these . Linda had a picture of one on here somtime ago. the ones i got where manchester.

There is nothing wrong with a vertical tank but it has to remain that way when in use. I have two 20# on the front of my camper.

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, Marse Hernandez said:

Can an RV Propane tank manufactured in 1992 be recertified?  I recently purchased  1993 Toyota motorhome. Has original propane tank dated 1992. Can it be re-certified here in Los Angeles area?  Thanks.  Marse.

Thanks to Linda and others s well.  Much appreciated. Benchmark RV Center nearby confirmed that a built-in propane tank in a motorhome does not need to be re-certified. I then drove to a propane fill station and they promptly refilled my tank. Thanks again.