No radio stereo in my Dolphin from new

84Dolphin

1 hour ago, 84Dolphin said:

It appears my coach neverhad a stereo as there is just the blank toyota plate in the dash as well as no speakers or wires in the dash. Is this common for 1984?

Toyota Motorhomes are based on a 2WD commercial cab and chassis. The early generation trucks were bare bones. No radio unless ordered at the time of purchase.

The factory wiring for radio and speakers should still be accessible under the dash. The cab area is so small you could just wire in a new setup and forget the factory wiring.

i have the origional from my 84 dolphin . it's am fm cassette. you are welcome to it if you pay shipping. it will just plug in to the existing wiring

Speakers may or may not be installed if it never had radio. Thats ok, cuz they were cheap and tinny-sounding anyway. 

Im pretty sure the speaker wiring will be there,-biggest task will be removing the old door trim panels without breaking the fragile cardboard.

Use a wide flexible scraper, or buy a trim kit that has multiple removal tools like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tresalto-Auto-Trim-Removal-Tool/dp/B01L8GHB7O

How-to video here;

I'm not sure about your 84 but my 87 Escaper had the original speakers mounted on the left and right side of the lower dashboard. The door panels had not been cut for speakers nor was there wiring in that location. I had the door panels off when i insulated the doors.