removing front window and replacing it with filon

twodog

I've removed my front window, re sealed it with butyl tape, and caulked around the glass, and I still have a small leak in hard rain.   I'm tired of fighting with it. and I'm going to completely remove it.   I was wondering if anyone has replaced the front window with filon.    I could use some advice if anyone has done this.    

When  rebuilding my 1991 I used a fiberglass panel from Home Depot. Inexpensive solution and no worries about a leaking window.

On my 1988 toyhome I used plywood first and replaced it a few years later with 1/2 inch pvc board.

• 2 weeks later...

loctite-specialty-adhesive-2016891-64

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-PL-Marine-10-fl-oz-Fast-Cure-Adhesive-Sealant-2016891/206156418

I use Loctite Marine Adhesive to put most things rv related together.

You do not need the fast cure the regular stuff cures in 24 hours also.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, twodog said:

I've removed my front window, re sealed it with butyl tape, and caulked around the glass, and I still have a small leak in hard rain.   

I kept having a small leak on the driver side corner of the window and  I did everything that you mentioned above and finally figured out it was actually from one of the running lights above the window. Water was running down hitting the window and going around it so I would make sure those running lights are sealed up real good.

On our recent trip we pulled in to the RV park at night and notice the whole front window was smashed to bits and glass inside. Have no idea how it happened.

I used this from home Depot and haven't decided how to paint it yet

Glasliner    4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glasliner-4-ft-x-8-ft-White-090-FRP-Wall-Board-MFTF12IXA480009600/100389836

16321487442037391609720454473310.jpg.0a8b8b13422991ef6b28d124d6922804.jpg

I have been messing around with RV's for 20 years.  I have seen numerous posts where people have resealed front window and it still leaked so I looked for a video on resealing windows.  There are thousands of articles on redoing windows and hundreds of videos.  All well intentioned people trying to be helpful but don't have clue!  ONE!  One video showing bad glazing tape and replacing it. 

The rubber gasket is a lock not a seal,  it does seal but the tape between the glass and the aluminum frame can be the issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hyadt95yw

Beware You Tube videos!!    

I removed the window and used a mobile home siding to cover,  only available in white so need to paint. 

image.png.6be3005673b3b2beb3b16fb2b08f1ead.png

jjrbus I like your staging for working on the front end of the rv. It certainly distributes the weight and forces in an appropriate way.

I use saw horses on either side with staging planks. I will do something along the lines of what your doing in the future.

Could you do a thread about how your staging works?

Did you put leds for the cabover lights.

I do not run the cabover lights as holes in that area when driving will at some point leak.

I don't know if there is a DOT minimum for marker lights. But there are what I used on a home made trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Purishion-Clearence-Indicators-Trailer-Taillight/dp/B01MEG40NI/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=12v+led+marker+lights&qid=1632277945&sr=8-6

I'm thinking a stick on color matched reflector with one of these in the middle would be bright enough.