Seeking thorough mechanic in CA

Cynxing

Long story. I will write a chronological summary to share if it comes to that.

Gist:  86 Dolphin hemorrhaging oil from unknown point.    Oil splatters out immediately when running.  2.5 qts. at a time. 

Seeking recommendation for a mechanic with a lift willing to find the leak(s) somewhere between Stockton and San Leandro.

Needed ASAP.

Happy Labor Day weekend, y'all.

5 hours ago, Cynxing said:

Long story. I will write a chronological summary to share if it comes to that.

Gist:  86 Dolphin hemorrhaging oil from unknown point.    Oil splatters out immediately when running.  2.5 qts. at a time. 

Seeking recommendation for a mechanic with a lift willing to find the leak(s) somewhere between Stockton and San Leandro.

Needed ASAP.

Happy Labor Day weekend, y'all.

Crank oil seal. If you have the 20R or 22R this is a common fail item. The seal itself is inexpensive, but involves removing the crank pulley which can get involved.

Behind the seal is the oil pump be sure to replace the sealing ring on the pump it is subjected to full oil pressure adds about 15 minutes to the job and makes it easier to replace the crank seal.

4 hours ago, fred heath said:

Crank oil seal. If you have the 20R or 22R this is a common fail item. The seal itself is inexpensive, but involves removing the crank pulley which can get involved.

22RE.  Thanks for the diagnostic, I'll be sure to mention that possibility.  But moot if I can't find a garage where the work can be done.  Any Bay Area Toy owners out there with great mechanics?

I know there are members in that area but you might just have to let google be your friend. Find shops that do engine repair close to you then I always go to Google street view to see if they have tall shop doors. Then start calling. Let them know your rig is about the same height and weight as a tall Sprinter van so they won't be afraid to take it on. 

Linda S

6 hours ago, Cynxing said:

22RE.  Thanks for the diagnostic, I'll be sure to mention that possibility.  But moot if I can't find a garage where the work can be done.  Any Bay Area Toy owners out there with great mechanics?

The “E” denotes electronic ignition. The engine is a 22R.

Actually the E means that the engine has Electronic fuel injection. Toyota 22 series engines from 1981 have electronic ignition.

Well Stockton to San Leandro is a long way and no way your going to make it over Altamont Pass. Where exactly are you. If your on the central valley side, aka Stockton, try this place.

Yota1 Performance Engine & Machine - Your Toyota needs all in one place! (209yota1.com)

Toyota's only, good reviews and it looks like one of their garage doors might be tall enough

Linda S

2 hours ago, WME said:

Actually the E means that the engine has Electronic fuel injection. Toyota 22 series engines from 1981 have electronic ignition.

You’re right. Must have been a senior moment. 🙂

The "E" is German for Enispritzung or fuel injection (of any type from diesel to electronic) why the Japanese picked that I have no ideal! 

• 2 weeks later...

Call Juan 510.355.7774. He's mobile mechanic; you may be able to work on it on a public parking lot somewhere (Park and ride) in emergency possibly. I met him once and had never worked with him in the past. He's based out of Hayward

Got an appointment with a mechanic in Santa Cruz tomorrow morning.  I'll let you jolly armchair quarterbacks know if he solves it.  In the meantime, when it rains, it pours.  The ancient Dometic fridge REEKS of ammonia, and yes I know what that means.  It means I cooked 5 lbs of previously frozen hamburger today.  Aside from that, I've got to get this nasty thing OUT of my rig. 

Does anyone in Santa Cruz area want it for any reason?  What is the correct way to dispose of it if no one claims it for parts?  No need now to go into how to replace it.  That's a totally different conversation.  Do I take it to a pick and pull?  Is it a hazmat item?  No, I'm not going to chuck it on the side of the road, so skip those unhelpful suggestions, please.

And thank you Nam, I'll hang onto the Juan number.  You never know.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:22 PM, linda s said:

Well Stockton to San Leandro is a long way and no way your going to make it over Altamont Pass. Where exactly are you. If your on the central valley side, aka Stockton, try this place.

Yota1 Performance Engine & Machine - Your Toyota needs all in one place! (209yota1.com)

Toyota's only, good reviews and it looks like one of their garage doors might be tall enough

Linda S

I called Yota1 in Modesto.  My understanding was that they sell parts, but don't do service.  Maybe the one you found is a different one. 

Their website lists their services but maybe that only applies to installing the engines and transmission they build. At this point you just need to get one the phone and find someone. If they take the time to listen to me and ask questions and sound knowledgeable that's good enough for me. Of course I always Google first to see if they have tall shop doors

Linda S

I just had a bad oil leak on my 2006 Honda Odyssey. Turns out the oil filter casing failed - first time that ever happened to me. It could be something as simple as that. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

I found an amazing mechanic in Martinez, CA who did all my engine and suspension work, this Summer: Fuel Pump, Water Pump, New Belts, Shocks and Air Bags. He doesn't have much space, nor a bay that allows for motorhomes, but he did work on my 87 Sea Breeze, to get me back on the road. Try calling The Car Doctor to see if he has space to help out. They are the nicest people in that shop, ever!

Also, there is a Toyota Shop called Dex's Automotive in Pacheco, CA (between Concord and Martinez I think). He is one of the best Toyota repair guys ever, but also does not have a bay tall enough for RVs, but he may be willing to to do the work, anyway.

Also, if you have AAA or Good Sam RV roadside assistance they can find you a shop or even send someone out to where you are. Sadly for me, I didn't have either after putting my Toy on "Non-Op" while in storage over the last 2 years. It was such a struggle to find anyone willing to do the work... 

Hope this info helps you or someone else in the future. 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2021 at 6:57 PM, 87SeaBreeze said:

I found an amazing mechanic in Martinez, CA who did all my engine and suspension work, this Summer: Fuel Pump, Water Pump, New Belts, Shocks and Air Bags. He doesn't have much space, nor a bay that allows for motorhomes, but he did work on my 87 Sea Breeze, to get me back on the road. Try calling The Car Doctor to see if he has space to help out. They are the nicest people in that shop, ever!

Also, there is a Toyota Shop called Dex's Automotive in Pacheco, CA (between Concord and Martinez I think). He is one of the best Toyota repair guys ever, but also does not have a bay tall enough for RVs, but he may be willing to to do the work, anyway.

Also, if you have AAA or Good Sam RV roadside assistance they can find you a shop or even send someone out to where you are. Sadly for me, I didn't have either after putting my Toy on "Non-Op" while in storage over the last 2 years. It was such a struggle to find anyone willing to do the work... 

Hope this info helps you or someone else in the future. 🙂

I live in Pacheco...would you mind sharing your mechanic contact info.? I've got a few things that I haven't the time to do. You can also have him contact me at 925.804.5535. Thanks