Generator parts and AC!

Aldo

Hi All,

We’re happy to be a part of a supportive group here with the purchase of this funny little 86 Sea Breeze! I’ve already learned a lot about this thing here, so thanks to all everyone for sharing their insight. 

I need a carburetor for this old generator. It’s an 86. Someone pulled it off and never put it back. It’s getting fuel doing everything it’s supposed to but obviously not going to work. 

So any guidance would be awesome. I know it may be tough to find, but I’m willing to search. Also just part site suggestions in general for the coach would be great too. I’m trying to get this roof ac to run cold on shore power. Don’t know where to start with a recharge. 

Happy motoring!

Your air conditioner is probably dead. You could try cleaning under the roof top shell. It will be full of leaves and all kinds of stuff. That usually only helps ones that don't cool enough, not zero cool. It does turn on right? Electric but no cool?

The generator we would need to know what kind. Name if you can see it or picture if you can't. 

Linda S

I’m sure there’s a Freon can or something I can try out no? It’s clean, runs well. Just not cold. 

I’ll upload some generator pics shortly. 

Any parts sites anyone can suggest for items like I’m having an issue with? 

Edited by Aldo

if it's low on refrigerant, it leaks.  no sense in filling it if you could

These are old enough to have R22 that is made from unobtanium. Unless it's a big AC unit it's not going to refrigerate a camper any way cool to some extent maybe cold no. My New Horizon had  one it worked  but not like a car or home AC.

Cool everyone. Thanks for the knowledge! Looks like when it comes to the ac I’m in for a new one. Any suggestions?

Generator photos soon! Hopefully you all can help me come to conclusions like you all did on the ac thing! Thanks again!   

I will say if it's green it's worth fixing. The Kohler's were quite noisy among other things the (green) Onan's were nice units.

It’s green! It turns over, pumps gas to where there should be a carburetor. Older looking unit with its own little muffler setup below. I may rig a big motorcycle silencer on there I’m thinking if it’s too loud. Not a kohler, i would have recognized that name if I saw it. 

Edited by Aldo

Post a picture and see if you can see any tag that has a model number.  A New Onan carb ranges from $30-$75 depending on which model generator on Ebay.

If it’s a microlite 2800 a new carb is around $250.00.

If it’s onan there should be a metal tag riveted to the unit giving the model number and serial number of that unit. You will need that information to ensure you get the correct carburetor. Onan has many different carburetors for different models. Onan does not sell or recommend rebuilt carburetors.

Some sellers on eBay are selling rebuild kits for these carbs. Where yours is missing a new carb is in order.

Edited by fred heath

All the references on this site for an 86 rig point to an Onan 3000 as the generator. Might be hard to find the carb. If someone else here could post their model number that would help. I know a couple of members have this generator. eBay does not have any carbs for them. Jack's small engines might but like Fred said all well over a hundred bucks. Other Onan carbs might fit is you can match the size of the mounting plate. We really need pictures and numbers to help track down the right one

Linda S

Do you have the old carb? Just throwing this out there. It could be junk or it could simply be clogged with old gas. These things sit and the gas sets up in the small passages and then they do not work. I've brought many old carbs back to life with a cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. I use Simple Green in it and there is no big mess to deal with afterwards either. 

Sometimes they will come clean without even taking them apart but even if you have to take it apart (which is going to work better, making a gasket is easy also]. Sometimes the floats will get pin holes in them. Again, not too hard to fix. Old small engine carbs are pretty simple devices. It can take some time so it becomes pricey to get someone else to do it. 

58 minutes ago, john*thomas said:

Do you have the old carb? Just throwing this out there. It could be junk or it could simply be clogged with old gas. These things sit and the gas sets up in the small passages and then they do not work. I've brought many old carbs back to life with a cheap Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. I use Simple Green in it and there is no big mess to deal with afterwards either. 

Sometimes they will come clean without even taking them apart but even if you have to take it apart (which is going to work better, making a gasket is easy also]. Sometimes the floats will get pin holes in them. Again, not too hard to fix. Old small engine carbs are pretty simple devices. It can take some time so it becomes pricey to get someone else to do it. 

Nope. It’s the only thing I don’t have on the whole vehicle. It’s like it was taken off to get fixed and forgotten when sold to the previous owner. Air filter and stuff were all just sitting in there. 

Gas is getting to it, spitting where the carb should be. The starter is turning the motor as it should. Plug looks old so I’ll swap that. 

if anyone has a picture of the old onan units I could use for reference—that would be awesome. Small engine repair for some reason always comes into my life and I’ve found myself to be pretty good at it. 

Aldo

Edited by Aldo

If it’s an onan it will have a metal ID plate attached to the main engine. If not there, it’s probably not an onan. Or someone removed it for whatever reason.🤔

This is Onan Microlite in my rig. I have been able to order parts from CUMMINGS, they are nationwide. My contact in Portland Oregon area is 503 289 0900.  They did ask me for the Model Number when I ordered tuneup parts. They were all original Onan parts. Not expensive in my case.

Hope this will help.

20200731_162909.jpg

The third picture with the ID label is what you’ll need. Onan needs the model number and the serial number to ensure you get the correct part.

One thing you can do is once you get the exact model carburetor you need from Onan, go into the search engine and see if you can find a secondary supplier with the same carburetor in stock. Your unit is old enough there may be some NOS units out there cheaper than the factory price.