So I replaced my clutch last summer with a center force.

I don't drive it that much, and after about two, maybe 3,000 miles it started to slip, in february.

they bled the clutch and it worked better than right at I swapped it although I feel like it was abused a little first so I started shifting without a clutch whenever I could.

And now all of a sudden it's slipping again

Someone told me that you have to machine part of it shorter because the drive shaft or something or other is not long enough.

I wish I could remember what he said exactly it didn't seem like an emergency at the time, but I just had to cancel my dog's first show

Does anyone know about this? Is this a familiar thing?

6 minutes ago, cannante said:

So I replaced my clutch last summer with a center force.

I don't drive it that much, and after about two, maybe 3,000 miles it started to slip, in february.

they bled the clutch and it worked better than right at I swapped it although I feel like it was abused a little first so I started shifting without a clutch whenever I could.

And now all of a sudden it's slipping again

Someone told me that you have to machine part of it shorter because the drive shaft or something or other is not long enough.

I wish I could remember what he said exactly it didn't seem like an emergency at the time, but I just had to cancel my dog's first show

Does anyone know about this? Is this a familiar thing?

I’m confused. I’m guessing you have a standard transmission? How can you shift without the clutch? You need to provide more detailed information. Year of your Toyota and drivetrain components.

It is an 82 Toyota sunrader

Shifting without a clutch is possible if you know how to do it.. I learned very much in the driver's seat while it started slipping right as I was driving into Manhattan after a long cross country journey.

If the clutch is intact enough to get it running into first gear, you can pop it out of first gear and let it ease into second gear and third gear and 4th gear

Which I did with the old clutch for over a year before I replaced it

But this new clutch, I shift into the new gear, without the clutch, and it is still slipping.

3 minutes ago, cannante said:

It is an 82 Toyota sunrader

Shifting without a clutch is possible if you know how to do it.. I learned very much in the driver's seat while it started slipping right as I was driving into Manhattan after a long cross country journey.

If the clutch is intact enough to get it running into first gear, you can pop it out of first gear and let it ease into second gear and third gear and 4th gear

Which I did with the old clutch for over a year before I replaced it

But this new clutch, I shift into the new gear, without the clutch, and it is still slipping.

If your clutch is properly adjusted you should not be able to move between gears while in motion without using the clutch. Luck for you there are no steep hills where you travel.

You should have a clutch slave cylinder in line with the clutch fork. These can be adjusted to allow for proper engagement. It sounds like the slave rod is too far forward. There should be a slight gap between the rod and fork when at rest. It’s hard to diagnose shifting issues online.

did you resurface the flywhell. if anything is shaved off the center the rest of the surface has to be done to a spec to set the pressure plate down to its clerance spec. did you do the install yourself . one adjustment is under the dash on the pedal cleves. there is a locknut there pedal slack needs to be at spec .if you did the job did you use a pilot shaft dummy trans shaft to center the disc before tightning down the pressure plate. oil leaking out of the trans or rear main seal can soack the clutch. it will slip then.i hope you forgive me the clutch pedal is not a foot rest . that will for shure ruin a clutch. check both master clutch cylinder and slave                          for leakage.

Why is a new clutch slipping in the first place? Here is the deal if the clutch cylinder has an adjustable push rod it is improperly adjusted it needs to be  adjusted there is no clearance hence the clutch is slipping it's the same as having you foot on the clutch peddle part way. Bottom line if the clutch is new some thing else is wrong. I have seen clutch disks installed backwards but that creates a totally different issue you can't get it into gear! There are very few stepped flywheels and a serious pain to machine Toyota is not one of them. Years ago I had a customer that managed to burn up a clutch in two days a dead give away was the smell he of course he didn't abusing it. When a clutch is replaced the new one because of it's thickness will force a hydraulic slave cylinder to be pushed deeper into the bore often bottoming out from improper adjustment again it produces the same result as having the peddle manually pushed part way in.

one thing that happened to me . this was  on a datsen but could happen on a toyota . in my case the clutch  fork was out of place on the pivet . and this job was done in a shop. so it did not release all the way. it worked for a while but started slipping. i was thinking i had a 1977 toyota with a stepped flywheel i know i do remember having one of that type machined and it gave me no trouble.and was not on a datsun.

Edited by 5Toyota

On 8/26/2021 at 12:30 AM, 5Toyota said:

did you resurface the flywhell. if anything is shaved off the center the rest of the surface has to be done to a spec to set the pressure plate down to its clerance spec. did you do the install yourself . one adjustment is under the dash on the pedal cleves. there is a locknut there pedal slack needs to be at spec .if you did the job did you use a pilot shaft dummy trans shaft to center the disc before tightning down the pressure plate. oil leaking out of the trans or rear main seal can soack the clutch. it will slip then.i hope you forgive me the clutch pedal is not a foot rest . that will for shure ruin a clutch. check both master clutch cylinder and slave                          for leakage.

I did not do the work.

I bought the center force clutch and brought it in to a mechanic

I think I'm going to have to take it to another mechanic.

For obvious reasons I don't have a lot of faith in my mechanic that replaced the clutch to begin with.

Does anyone know of mechanics they trust very close to Manhattan? I don't know how many more miles I have out of the clutch.

I know how to drive a manual transmission. This is not from abuse. I drove 75,000 miles on one clutch

i did not think you where a clutch abuser. sorry i live on the other          si   de of the us north west. yea i am shure i would find a different shop. i would be burned up with them no pun intended.

• 2 months later...
On 8/28/2021 at 11:21 PM, 5Toyota said:

i did not think you where a clutch abuser. sorry i live on the other          si   de of the us north west. yea i am shure i would find a different shop. i would be burned up with them no pun intended.

Sorry if I seemed overly sensitive, that guy's at the original mechanics office on talking about maybe I've abused the clutch and they have to look at it, Etc

So I finally got enough money to replace the entire clutch if it needs it

And my plan is to take it to Toyota dealership for a diagnostic, check the flywheel check slave cylinder and hopefully don't have to replace the new clutch but if it's at a dealership hopefully this time it would be work that could be guaranteed

It's going to be a hard sell unless some thing actually broke. If the clutch disk is smoked it will be an up hill battle. 

I really am somewhat nonplussed about what to do should I just hold on to the money and keep on driving until the problems present themselves on the  Road? any other thoughts?

Since I don't trust my original mechanic? I feel like I might be just as well off waiting for it to be repaired somewhere out of town

my past exp if  it slips very long turns the flywheel            blue  . i hope for the best for you 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 8:51 AM, Maineah said:

It's going to be a hard sell unless some thing actually broke. If the clutch disk is smoked it will be an up hill battle. 

A Hard Sell to take it to the dealership?

Dealerships are not the best place to take an older Toyota.  They hire the youngest cheapest mechanics they can. Experienced mechanics open their own shops. At the stealership labor is 75 bucks an hour or more and the mechanic is getting 25 if he's lucky 

Linda S

No, only if you return to the one that installed it. I agree with Linda an independent is you're best bet clutches are very mysterious devices any more. What I would do is find an ATRA shop, ATRA is nation wide they do transmissions and I assume they still do standard transmission stuff so if you have issues you can take it to an ATRA shop no matter where you are. I was the shop foreman for an a an ATRA shop and did all their manual work, I can tell you this the Toyota manual is a simple setup they are self adjusting clutches that's hard to screw up.