Trying to install air lift suspension bags over axle on a ‘91 Warrior that hasn’t been driven in over a decade. A bit nervous about cutting the u bolts, wanna make sure I’m doing it safely. Vehicle’s on jack stand, trying to decide if I have enough tension off the leaf spring.

38E4B23F-9AA0-491B-9363-2F08A99D2656.jpeg.de9fe596252d1bd3ec75fc0c6df2b721.jpeg

Leaf springs really aren't like coil springs. There isn't the stress there like there is with a coil spring. Are you not able to get the U bolts off without cutting them? I guess I have never did them on one of these. Do they not have threaded nuts?

john*thomas- they do have threaded nuts. From what I’ve been able to dig up on forums like this, it’s common for them to be seized on and cutting is often regarded as easier since they’re usually replaced anyhow. I tried to remove them once but was using a breaker bar with an adapter. The adapter snapped in half. I may try again and use the jack to release more tension on the axle/spring (and not use an adapter).

I've had the leaf springs off my 91 Warrior and didn't have to cut. Soak 'em with PB Blaster for a day or two—next use a torch for a few minutes: on the nut and up and down the threads. Breaker bar and socket should get it then.

38 minutes ago, JayBees said:

john*thomas- they do have threaded nuts. From what I’ve been able to dig up on forums like this, it’s common for them to be seized on and cutting is often regarded as easier since they’re usually replaced anyhow. I tried to remove them once but was using a breaker bar with an adapter. The adapter snapped in half. I may try again and use the jack to release more tension on the axle/spring (and not use an adapter).

Yes, you should replace them either way. Inexpensive. Cutting them would be the easy way maybe. I have a torch and plasma cutter so I might cut them also. I was just curious. 

If the axle is supported and you cut or remove the ubolts the spring has nowhere to go. 

The axle sits on top of the leaf springs. Springs won’t go anywhere when you remove the u bolts. Spring perch will keep everything aligned.

Depending on airbag setup, you might need longer u bolts to complete the installation. I always advocate replacing u bolts once removed, especially if they’re old. A 4 1/2” grinder with a cut off wheel is the way to go. You can get both from harbor freight for less than $50.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! The frame rails need to be supported BEFORE you cut the u bolts. If you’re depending on axle support only the body will drop when the bolts are removed. Axle support is not as critical when it sits above the leafs. You could support the frame only and let the axle rest on the springs. Much safer route to take.

Edited by fred heath

Fred heath- frame is supported. Shortest jack I got is a 6 ton at 11.5”, so the rv is elevated on the drivers side a fair bit. My angle grinder take 5” discs, waiting for some to arrive by mail. Meanwhile, I’ll try one more time with the breaker bar. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Update- with weight off the axle I managed to get all four nuts off the u bolts, 1 was especially stubborn. BUT-I was under the leaf spring and when I got the final nut off, the spring expanded. It didn’t hit me but diffenitely got my attention. I also failed to note that the plate that holds the u bolts also holds the bottom of the shock and flung loose as well. Wonder if this all happened because the vehicle is so tipped? Guess I’ll need to put the jack lift under the leaf and raise it so I can connect air bag to frame? Also considering replacing the shocks. No idea how old they are and this may be the easiest access I’m gonna get.B3BE437A-0E0C-4A1F-BD34-6463CD29BDE8.jpeg.3cbb80cde956f58186e1c8741a4e00fb.jpeg27CB5445-3F49-47FC-818B-47D464DD9A35.jpeg.2ea5d30d702eb3ede6dc9172e2d8bd1f.jpeg

Just let the axle hang on the spring, no Jack on axle, after the ubolt is removed THEN Jack up the axle.

WME- the u bolts have already been removed. The problem now is the leaf spring has loosened and I need to figure out how I’m gonna compress it enough so that the new u bolts will reach and can be tightened.

3 hours ago, JayBees said:

WME- the u bolts have already been removed. The problem now is the leaf spring has loosened and I need to figure out how I’m gonna compress it enough so that the new u bolts will reach and can be tightened.

Don't raise the spring just lower the axle. The RV should have been level with Jack stands on each side

WME- yeah, that’s where I messed up, I think. The rv only has jack stand on one side. The bottom photo I posted should show how tipped to one side the rv is. The photo above it shows the current state of the leaf springs. You’re saying that releasing the jack lift on the axle will take strain off the springs (despite the tilt of the rv)? 

Yes, CAREFULLY lower the Jack and see how things line up. When you do the other side level the RV.

WME- took the jack tension off and things seem fine. Leaves are all still in alignment, a bit sprung like in my photo but that probably has a lot to do with the rv pitched to one side. Had a trucking shop make me new u bolts just a hair longer but haven’t tried to put the works back together yet. Removed rear shock and it’s toast so ordered a set of KYB’s. Waiting for those to arrive and I’ll slap it all together. Thanks for the help.

um. supporting the axle by the brake drum is looking for trouble. brake drums warp quite easily

• 5 months later...

Small hiccup while trying to install rear shocks. Wanted to jack up the rear axle to the height of the compressed shocks and slip em on and cut the retaining straps but looks like it’s an 1” shy and maxed out. It’s a ‘91 Warrior that used to have an old air assist on the leaf springs but now I’ve put a new air lift over the axle. May be that’s preventing the suspension from compressing any further? Then again, i hope i got the right shocks, they’re KYB 5438’s. The jack is about maxed out and the rv is starting to lift off the stands. Guess I’m gonna have to cut the straps.

jack it up from the frame and let the axle drop slightly. Then pull the shock out to meet it. I use a long bolt to pull it out. I done lots of shocks. This always works for me. You don't want your axle to drop too much or you can damage your air bags

Linda S

KYB 5438s are 13.9" compressed and 21.85" extended

Edited by WME

I should point out that the rv is currently on stands placed just in front of the rear wheels. The rear wheels are off and my only floor jack is under the differential. With the suspension jacked up the bottom of the shock (compressed) is too short to meet up with the bottom mount (by 1”). As is I’d have to cut the retaining strap then compress or push the shock back up to get it on. Linda S- your saying get the wheels back on, lower the vehicle to the floor and then jack one side up. You mention having to pull down on the shock. I’m probably not visualizing this correctly but I’m thinking either way I do this, once I cut the strap I’m gonna be pushing back up to fit it on that bottom post. Wish I’da kept my gym membership.

A second floor or hydraulic jack comes in handy for this job. I agree with Linda that you don't want the weight of the axle pulling on your air bags. You can do it the way you are currently set up with the rear on jack stands. The retaining strap will have to be cut. You can lower the axle a little  keeping an eye on your air bags and not stretching them. Ask a neighbor or friend to borrow their floor jack so you can get under the shock and compress it to the mounting point. I strained a chest muscle attempting to push my shock into place and then used the jack for the assist. Awkward but doable. 

No wheels on ground. Cut the strap. Not hard to push shock to right size to install. 

Linda S

I should have added you don't need to move a thing. You're an inch short. Cut the strap lining up the bolt holes and stick it through when the shock expands enough. They don't pop out like a spring. They ooze. Prevention of rapid movements is what makes your ride smooth. Watch this and see how easily he pushes the shock in with his hands, and that's a Bilstein shock. Strong one

How to Replace Shocks with basic hand tools - YouTube

Ok, shocks are on. After seeing videos of people using floor jacks to compress the shock and fight with it to get it mounted I guess I was expecting more of a struggle. Went on by hand without much fuss. Started this particular thread several months ago but much of this downtime has been waiting for parts. Rear suspension now has new KYB shocks, new Air Lift bags, new Energy Suspension poly bushings, new greasable shackles and hanger pins (very hard to find right now). Oh, and new u-bolts. There is so much left to do on this rv (thinking about it can get a bit daunting) but for now I’m gonna slap the tires back on and move it off to the side of the barn. I’ve got a pontoon boat that needs a lot of attention before the start of the season. Thanks to all who helped. Here’s some pics.

7683C2BB-CCE5-488B-A582-81C8CD751AAC.jpeg

29AD88C1-330B-429A-B9BF-5FAC5E314417.jpeg

AF3F7A63-F6DA-4B63-AA60-3545C32F7D04.jpeg

EFEB0B61-7690-4E11-B440-7E56A9939DBD.jpeg

9A448B1F-3C02-4098-9E43-3E6D0CF1812F.jpeg

14E2984A-F419-483F-B223-53585908EE3E.jpeg

319EF7F1-713E-4FDB-9539-035602CF5219.jpeg

59F48F16-4F19-4E09-A770-9DEB4FA2AC4E.jpeg

BFB72B4D-D7F9-4B03-9701-CBE9726A92BC.jpeg

740B4604-499E-4AA9-AF63-2A306E077AAE.jpeg

AC449CCF-059F-4986-9C76-75E605F13C87.jpeg

F8183DE5-AEBB-4CDF-806F-757FF4263D07.jpeg