Right brakelight/blinker won't stay fixed

SusanG

Hi, I'm new at this.  I've had a 1987 Toyota Dolphin for a year and a half.  During that time, the brake/blinker light on the passenger's side has gone out about 5 times.  Each time it's fixed it works for a little while, then crashes again.  I have to say "passenger's side"  because a mechanic told me that I didn't know my right from my left, although the work order distinctly said Right.  I enjoy this website very much; although I don't always know what's going on, I DO know my right from the left.

I'd have to look at the paperwork and it's not handy right now, but I believe they replaced the whole thing on that side - what is it called, a fixture? -  that makes me wonder if it's the wiring inside.   I didn't throw any of the paperwork away, but it's in storage.  Thank you for caring!

Did the same mechanic do all of the fixes? If so he needs to find out what's wrong  for no dollars and fix it again. Mention yelp reviews. If not I have found some wonderful cheap mechanics on craigslist. Just go to services, automotive. 

Linda S

Time? It depends.......and this may not even be your problem. It does sound like a wiring problem but it could be in the switch in the steering column. Do some of the easy work yourself. Your wiring should ground to the chassis somewhere. There will be a wire with a small screw that goes into the frame. Take the screw out. Check your wiring. Is the piece of metal the screw goes through connected good? Take some sandpaper and sand it. Get a new screw. (any hardware store). Sand the area around the hole in the frame so that its bare metal. Put back together. You then at least have a good ground there. 

Generally the switches are made of plastic. (I've never replaced a Toyota turn signal switch) but I have others. Over the years they get loose and come apart. 

Try this next time it's not working. Put your emergency flashers on and see if they work. 

I will have mine randomly quit. I read where it was somewhat common with Nissan Truck. I was told to turn flashers on and try again. I did and presto, they work.

There are two filaments in the bulbs stop/signal and parking there is only one ground for both so it is unlikely that both would be an issue so this points directly to a poor ground. 

A bad ground on a 2 filament bulb will cause all kinds of strange things to happen as the 12v seeks a ground somewhere. A light on the wrong side can come on, blinkers go nuts. 

So follow the grounds. If you can't find where it grounds, make a new ground and do a proper splice.

10 hours ago, WME said:

A bad ground on a 2 filament bulb will cause all kinds of strange things to happen as the 12v seeks a ground somewhere. A light on the wrong side can come on, blinkers go nuts. 

So follow the grounds. If you can't find where it grounds, make a new ground and do a proper splice.

The crazy stuff did happen about a week ago!   Then it settled down and went back to normal, but the brake/blinker lights didn't work.  

Do you have LED lights or regular bulbs. You can replace those bulbs for cheap yourself. Just unscrew lens find number on bulb and match at auto parts store. Won't fix the problem but will work in the mean time at least for a while. Regular ones cost about a buck

Linda S

I am happy to report that I took the Dolphin in for an alignment and the guy was kind enough to look at the taillights.  He replaced the bulb (yet again!) and found some dangling wires which he soldered.  He said that it would stay fixed now.  That was yesterday - right now the blinker and taillight ARE working, and so is a new light on the side which never worked from the Day 1, so we shall see.  Thanks for all your suggestions!