Driver's seat is pretty shot--rebuild or replace?

daveemac

I have a 1991 Odyssey that I'm thinking about driving around the country. It's in fantastic mechanical shape, but the driver's seat is pretty shot.  I've put up with it for shorter trips, but now that I'll be driving more I'd really like something more comfortable and more healthy for my body.  I'm a pretty fit 5'9" 180lbs, but I've had three hip replacements on one leg and want to be able to do 6 hour days in relative comfort (and without hurting myself).

I'm looking for suggestions on either rebuilding the seat (upholstery is in good condition), or buying a replacement that is relatively easy to drop in.  I have a great mechanic who could probably retrofit anything in there, but I'd rather not spend a ton, and he's $125/hr...

Oh yeah--budget is basically as little as I can spend while still having a comfortable & supportive seat.   I once looked into rebuilding the driver's seat on a Volvo 240 and it shocked me, like $400+.  So:  I'm looking for the most cost-effective ways to get a quality supportive seat under me.  Thanks!

As I get older having a decent seat is important. You say it's shot but the upholstery is good. If that is the case the foam part can be replaced. I did a quick look and didn't see Toyota specific but they are pretty basic seats. I'd take it to an upholsterer and see what they could do.  They can easily carve out a piece of foam. 

You could upgrade but if I was to do that I would want to do both but that is up to you. 

Post from 2019 from Steeve. sounds like a good fit and will be easy to find

I replace my originals seats by Honda Civic 2005-2011. Three holes are direct fit. I have to drill hole for the last one. they are adjustable and very comfortable

Linda S

Thank you for the replies.  I'm looking into re-foaming, have a feeling it will be expensive...

Modern Honda Civic seat with one new hole sounds like a cheap/easy/comfy solution--thanks for passing that along Linda 🙂

Hey, if anyone happens to have more details on this, I'd appreciate it--can I use a seat from any model Honda Civic 2006-2011 (like SI, etc)?  Thanks again!

Edited by daveemac
typo

I put 2 honda civic seats in my1991 winnebago warrior. it's perfect for me. The only one thing you have to check is the height. Maybe increase by 1 inch. Just one hole to drill.

20190615_081634_HDR.jpg 

I replaced my driver's seat with Honda Civic 2002 I think. I used that one because it had an arm rest on the right side. So much more comfortable than the original Toyota seat. After driving all day my hip would  always hurt from the Toyota seat but not with the Honda Civic seat. It was not a direct fit and I had to do a little modifying.