Onan generator help a newbie!

Paigeellen

How does one actually start the generator ? I have a 1994 Toyota dolphin with a propane Onan generator . There is a button inside the motor home to turn on , when I do it the red light comes on but that’s it . Do I need to open the propane tank ? Embarrassing but please help a newbie 

Yes open the propane valve it may take awhile for any thing to happen because the propane lines are probably full of air.

Helps to have propane in the lines already by making sure the fridge is lit or lighting the stove for a bit. That button in the camper for the Onan. Can you show us what it looks like? It's not usually a matter of just turning it on. On most you have to keep it pushed down and you should hear the gen motor cranking trying to start. If you don't hear anything there are other issues. Maybe not getting enough power or needs a tuneup? Small engines usually need regular maintenance to keep them running. If yours hasn't been used in years it's way overdue. Do you have a model number for this. There are manuals online that can help you understand how it all works.

Linda S