2 questions - vapor barrier? and has anyone tried to put the windows in and then the metal siding on?

Hey all!

Newer to the dolphin world but I’m right in the middle of a major over haul of a 1981. I’m to the point that I’m about done with the rigid insulation and about to do a frog skin vapor barrier. My first question is, is it smart to do a vapor barrier on one of these if I’m utilizing the original propane furnace? I’m worried the barrier will trap moisture inside of the walls. Any thoughts?

My next questions, with all of the common opening leak issues, has any one tried to install the windows before putting the siding on, or using some flashing before hand to mitigate the leak issues? Just trying to plan ahead so I don’t have to pull this thing back apart. It’s already been...a project.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and thoughts!

added some pictures of progress for anyone interested.

63B08413-B060-4F67-8EF9-02C8FCD75BA0.jpeg

59836E12-0317-4E45-94D9-20E55DFA1264.jpeg

B3788389-9D22-4639-8779-A211A00B3DC6.jpeg

07A5949D-16AF-488A-B7A6-8242B4D8301E.jpeg

BF77205F-A2CF-44F1-8904-F83CCC267DB2.jpeg

D7105897-BCDF-4610-86F3-916BB076D067.jpeg

F2B3A54A-F2B3-48FE-AFFF-AD34E6F7C514.jpeg

C0EF699B-66B1-4442-863F-B3B83F1A9CAC.jpeg

Big job. Well on your way. Both interesting questions. I don't see a problem with a vapor barrier as the propane furnaces don't build up moisture as quickly as other indoor portable propane heating units. you can also crack your windows or vents as needed to mitigate the moisture when the heat is on. I've thought about the window question as well. Residential windows often will have a drain pan or a wrap that goes over the window frame to the exterior. Ultimately my opinion is water intrusion in campers is the result of neglect on the part of owners to routine maintenance. Pulling and resealing windows every 5 years or so will keep them from ever leaking. RV windows are made to be installed over the siding and drain out onto the siding. My opinions. 

An amendment to my comment: wrapping a small space tight will decrease the amount of time it will take for CO to build up in that space in the event of a malfunction. I highly encourage everyone with these motorhomes to purchase and install a propane and CO detector. A little pricier than a standard smoke and CO detector but will increase the chance you will be alerted to a problem more quickly. 

That’s a good point about the propane/co detector. I’ll have to get one for the maiden voyage.

I’ll post some progress pictures of how im planning on doing the vapor barrier. I’m hoping to wrap it into the rough opening so I have a solid surface to butyl the windows to, but it might be difficult with the radius in the corners. We will see.

Unfortunately putting the windows under siding locks you into your decision a little too much. Windows mounted on exterior walls are quick to reseal. I did all of mine in one day with time to spare. Under the exterior walls how are you going to get to them. Pulling off siding is more than anyone should deal with. If you think this one seal will be forever think again. That frame is going to shift and move going down the road. Windows are the not the problem with leaks because they are the easiest to fix. The coach frame is bigger risk potential. Corners, roof ,etc.

Linda S