Crazy Drivers

kevinchinook

I generally drive close to 2000 miles a month in my Subaru. From LA to San Bernadino to San Diego to Orange County. I've taken my Sunrader around town and on a couple of 180 miles round trips. Ever since the pandemic drivers have been crazy in SoCal. Aggressive, speeding, tail gating, no one uses turn signals, road rage. It's increased 10X since a couple of years ago. Has anyone else felt drivers have lost their minds since Covid?

It's making me intimidated to drive my slow, no airbags, no safety features Sunrader on any serious trips. I added bright LED taillights to the back, additional marker lights, extra mirrors.

What are you experienced motorhomers safe driving tips?

Thanks.

I have an old motorcycle that has drum brakes. I have an old car that has drum brakes so I long ago got in the habit of braking early and not getting close to anyone in front of me. It works well while driving the RV also. 

I suppose if someone wants to run into me there isn't much I can do. 

Then again I do not drive in the type of traffic you do very often.

having been totaled out twice rear ended totaly not at fault  once in a Datson and in a toyota 4WDxtra cab. if you bend it you bought it . i will go to the ER then to my lawyer and take them for all i can get . with no mercy. seemes that is the only way these cell phone  red light runners nuts can be treated. be viglant watch out in all directions be pernoid it could save you. first time was very large dump truck trailer back how outfit. shoved 40 feet into the back of a van.Where those belts i am here because i had it on.  PS i am so old i learned to drive with all drum brakes and no power anything.

Edited by 5Toyota

you got some safte.y things seat belts saftey colasiping stearing coluim.the old time rigs had a solid steel stearing set i dont need to tell what happened to the driver in a frontal hit. padded dash safty nobs they work . my third total was in the back seat in a toyota wagon teen age son rolled it going 50. can still rember the detachable safty rear view mirrer coming off. the used to be made of solid metal and with no seat belt you get the picture.i lived through that because i had on my lap belt.there was not a straight pice on that car. and lock all doors at all times . door locked door stayed shut i stayed in 5 loop roolover.  Came to rest upside down.

Edited by 5Toyota

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:43 PM, 5Toyota said:

having been totaled out twice rear ended totaly not at fault  once in a Datson and in a toyota 4WDxtra cab. if you bend it you bought it . i will go to the ER then to my lawyer and take them for all i can get . with no mercy. seemes that is the only way these cell phone  red light runners nuts can be treated. be viglant watch out in all directions be pernoid it could save you. first time was very large dump truck trailer back how outfit. shoved 40 feet into the back of a van.Where those belts i am here because i had it on.  PS i am so old i learned to drive with all drum brakes and no power anything.

Dash cams front and back. I can't recommend enough, but I will! 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, kevinchinook said:

I generally drive close to 2000 miles a month in my Subaru. From LA to San Bernadino to San Diego to Orange County. I've taken my Sunrader around town and on a couple of 180 miles round trips. Ever since the pandemic drivers have been crazy in SoCal. Aggressive, speeding, tail gating, no one uses turn signals, road rage. It's increased 10X since a couple of years ago. Has anyone else felt drivers have lost their minds since Covid?

It's making me intimidated to drive my slow, no airbags, no safety features Sunrader on any serious trips. I added bright LED taillights to the back, additional marker lights, extra mirrors.

What are you experienced motorhomers safe driving tips?

Thanks.

Head to the desert once it cools off?