85 coachman home door replacement

Hello there, I just bought an 85 Toyota coachman in California. While I was driving on the freeway, the door to the coach in the back began falling apart. the wood inside of the door that connects to the hinges apparently rotted away. I still have the door frame, but it needs to be replaced. What would be my best option for fixing this 🤔 

Edit: the bottom half of the door ripped away, fiberglass panels and the inside foam, so repairing isn't an option, nor do I have the tools atm. 

Edited by New coach

I suppose the easiest would be to find another one but.............not so easy to do. 

There isn't much to these doors. I just had mine apart. Is all the wood rotted? Is it just the wood where it's mounted that is bad? 

Coachman company is still in business. They might direct you to a comparable door that would fit your needs.

The company has produced so much product I find it doubtful the door on your coach is unique. Worst case you might find a door from a different coachman style that fits yours.

Well you need to figure out what size your door is first. There are online places that will custom make you a door but it's in the $500 and up range. Are you still in California. There's a RV salvage and repair place in Sacramento that has a huge stock of used doors. They might have the right one. I don't know if they have opened the lot to in person visits after Covid but you can call

About Us - RV DOCTOR GEORGE

Linda S

Post the size. and your location maybe one of us can find one

• 2 weeks later...

I have rebuilt several for these dang things if the panels are OK you're fine it does require some wood working tools and skills I buy pressure treated and rip them to size dado all the joints and use stainless screws.  They leak and the soft wood does rot.

Pressure treated should never be used in a residence especially a flimsy residence like a motorhome. I'm at a loss of what you guys expect of this member. Sealing the camper is the easy part. We can easily explain that but serious carpentry? I've done woodwork for years and it still looks crappy and I have a table saw and lots of tools.  Remodeling a 100 year old house right now and all I can say is thank God for caulk and paint. Do the sealing part and hire a handyman from craigslist to do the woodwork. You'll be way happier with the results. 

Linda S

Google...Bluwood or Nexgenprotection

Edited by WME

Bluwood is no longer made, caused corrosion on screws and other problems so not that safe. Nexgen is a treatment you apply and after many years on the market seems to have limited sales and distribution. Nope, no safe pressure pressure treated. 

Linda S

The chemicals used in PT wood have changed. Arsenic was used in PT wood until 2004 and now no longer used.  I would use PT wood any place inside except cutting boards, counter tops for food prep or areas where I sit for long periods or eat!  PT does tend to distort so I prefer to use wood that has aged a bit so its movement is over. I also use a dust mask when cutting PT wood.    White oak is also a good option.

27 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

The chemicals used in PT wood have changed. Arsenic was used in PT wood until 2004 and now no longer used.  I would use PT wood any place inside except cutting boards, counter tops for food prep or areas where I sit for long periods or eat!  PT does tend to distort so I prefer to use wood that has aged a bit so its movement is over. I also use a dust mask when cutting PT wood.    White oak is also a good option.

Yes I see AOC pressure treated instead of arsenic. Thing is the new stuff is very corrosive to metal fasteners. Been indicated in hundreds of deck failures.  Can't imagine what that would do to the screws in your constantly vibrating camper. Just shake it right apart I guess. Crap I've got to call the guy that built my deck

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Yes I see AOC pressure treated instead of arsenic. Thing is the new stuff is very corrosive to metal fasteners. Been indicated in hundreds of deck failures.  Can't imagine what that would do to the screws in your constantly vibrating camper. Just shake it right apart I guess. Crap I've got to call the guy that built my deck

Linda S

Use to be could go to the store and buy some screws,  now the array of types, heads, threads, coatings makes my head hurt.  Even after due diligence I can argue for and against the screws I choose based on the information available on the net. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, jjrbus said:

Use to be could go to the store and buy some screws,  now the array of types, heads, threads, coatings makes my head hurt.  Even after due diligence I can argue for and against the screws I choose based on the information available on the net. 

There are hundreds of thousands of  decks out there with the same screws 10 years on including my 21 year old deck and they improve every few years. Look for the green screws with a Torx drive head. One of my old campers is still in use with the PT wood rebuilt door I rebuilt in 1998 as is my Nova Star from 8 years ago and my present camper has a 5 year old PT rebuilt door constructed with PT and deck screws. Camper door are cheaply built soft wood with zero water proofing with butt joints my rebuilt's are all mitered joints that makes them much less flexible. PT is low grade wood you need to find the least knotty they will have to be ripped to size any way so they is going to be waste some of the boards maybe be as much as 50% but done right will out last the RV.