I'm looking to trade my labor for a toyota Sunland express camper.  My wife and I are looking for a project to restore but while inspecting the camper 22re engine I noticed an antifreeze leak on the front of the engine. I know this is vague and I'll admit I'm no pro when it comes to this engine but any help or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  Basically I'm willing to do the work but am just looking for any ideas as to why the engine would be leaking antifreeze. Thanks in advance for any help.

You May have a bad water pump. Most pumps are designed with a “weep hole” which allows a small amount of antifreeze to leak out when bearings are failing. The22r water pump is attached to the front of the engine.

Do you hear any grinding sound when engine is running? I’d check that out first.

Yea, you'll want to track down that leak. There are quite a number of coolant hose locations on the 22re. The coolant is under pressure and can spray. If you discover it is a hose leak, consider changing all the coolant hoses to prevent continues hose failures. The water pump could be leaking through the weep hole or gasket. Not a difficult fix replacing water pump and hoses if you've done some mechanical work. Radiator cap, overflow tank.  If the vehicle is new to you you'll want to inspect your cooling system thoroughly anyway as overheating leaves you stranded and leads to other problems. A number of websites have mechanical repair forums for the 22re in addition to this site. 

• 2 weeks later...