Cutting new roof vent

86Dolphino

Anyone ever cut another 14” opening in the ceiling to add another vent? I have a rear bathroom model and have a 14” vent in the bathroom, then the AC above stove/fridge area then a escape hatch/vent over the bunk. But I’ve seen some rv with another vent just inside the door. I’d like to cut a opening there for a fantastic fan. Wondering if anyone has done it and if so how hard of a job is it?

9 hours ago, 86Dolphino said:

Anyone ever cut another 14” opening in the ceiling to add another vent? I have a rear bathroom model and have a 14” vent in the bathroom, then the AC above stove/fridge area then a escape hatch/vent over the bunk. But I’ve seen some rv with another vent just inside the door. I’d like to cut a opening there for a fantastic fan. Wondering if anyone has done it and if so how hard of a job is it?

To do it properly it will be a task it's a lot easier with no roof!

Haven't installed an additional roof vent but had the ceiling out and portions of the roof off for replacement. If you've ever done some construction work it is doable but will be a project to do it properly. You will need to know where your roof support cross members are situated which will mean opening up the ceiling and locating them near where you want the vent located. If a support beam is in the way of the location where you would like to add the vent you will have to plan on adding additional supports on either side of the vent; challenging with the roof on.  You will have to build a frame for the vent to be secured to and that frame will have to be secured. Not sure what material your skeletal structure is made of; if aluminum you will be cutting an aluminum support which would not be ideal as the aluminum skeleton toyota motorhomes seem to be some of the longest lasting the way they are. If your roof and ceiling are in good shape you will have to decide whether the demo and install are worth it. 

There are many other ways to get more ventilation without possibly damaging your RV. Even when done right more holes means weaker roof. Not that much air to displace so if the bathroom vent has a fan leave it on and window cracked. If you want air blowing right at you lots of 12 volt window fans in all sizes to use. 

Linda S

My bathroom vent doesn’t really have a fan.  It’s just a little 4”x4” cpu fan PO installed. I thought about putting a maxxfan in there, but felt it was too far back to be of good use. I’d really like to put one in above the upper bunk but it’s way to big

is around 20x20 or so( escape hatch)