I was looking on the LCEngineering site and saw they sell various weights of flywheels.  I am currently rebuilding my 22RE and swapping the automatic for a manual.  Does anyone have any experience with the heavier flywheel?  My thought is the a heavier flywheel will help the little engine maintain momentum on hills.  I am concerned that it would be harmful to the overall performance during a long hill climb though.

Can anyone shed some light on the flywheel weight and results on our toyhomes?  I am only finding information on the heavier flywheel in the rock crawler community.

flywheel weight only affects changes in engine speed. the lighter the flywheel, the faster it can rev up.  on a long hill the engine speed isn't changing so the flywheel is not a factor.

Lighter flywheel will help with rpm on acceleration. Also help with engine braking. Go lighter if anything not heavier.

i agree with fred. heavy flywheel will help low rpm engines maintain a desired rpm

Rock crawlers use a heavier flywheel to help when they lug the engine, the added inertia prevents stalling the engine and makes things a bit smoother.

Racers use the lightest possible flywheel to REDUCE inertia and let the engine build RPM quicker.

On an underpowered, overweight pickup (thats what a Toy House really is) the stock one is OK. 

Steady state speed the flywheel is a moot point.   

our sprint car had no flywheel. rpms changed in a blink of an eye. 10 second quarter mile ---in a circle

6 hours ago, Radder in Larryville said:

I was looking on the LCEngineering site and saw they sell various weights of flywheels.  I am currently rebuilding my 22RE and swapping the automatic for a manual.  Does anyone have any experience with the heavier flywheel?  My thought is the a heavier flywheel will help the little engine maintain momentum on hills.  I am concerned that it would be harmful to the overall performance during a long hill climb though.

Can anyone shed some light on the flywheel weight and results on our toyhomes?  I am only finding information on the heavier flywheel in the rock crawler community.

What ever you use for a fly wheel will be lighter than the old converter! If you have a choice I would go lighter but it's kind of doubtful you would ever notice a difference one way or another with the MH.

22 minutes ago, Maineah said:

OK, how did you get it started and what was the clutch attached too?

Pushtruck

Edited by WME

yes, pushtruck. no clutch. in gear or no. if you stall it , truck pushes you to go again

3 hours ago, Maineah said:

Little practical value.

Its very pratical, IF you have a Sprint car and want to win races. For a Toy House not so much😆

7 hours ago, WME said:

Its very pratical, IF you have a Sprint car and want to win races. For a Toy House not so much😆

Or the majority of drivers!