Engine temperature gauge and dash lights not working

grandteton03079

Hi everyone, first time driving at night last night and when I turned my lights on i noticed nothing in the dash was lighting up, not sure if its related but my engine temperature indicator is also broken… no idea where to begin with troubleshooting this problem. I have an 86 travelmaster savannah and the chilton 1970-88 toyota pickup repair manual handy

Check your fuses. If all are good, it sounds like a ground issue. Your dash lights usually have a ground wire attached to the firewall. May take some searching. Also, check your headlight rheostat. Ensure it’s on full brightness and not dimmed. Temp sender could be a separate issue.

if you have those old type glass fuses i would take them all out and replace with new . even if they look good that type can still be bad. somtimes they even fall apart inside but still look fine. make shure to replace with the correct size . i have had this happen too me. took advice from old time toyota mecinec he new what he was about .

9 hours ago, 5Toyota said:

if you have those old type glass fuses i would take them all out and replace with new . even if they look good that type can still be bad. somtimes they even fall apart inside but still look fine. make shure to replace with the correct size . i have had this happen too me. took advice from old time toyota mecinec he new what he was about .

Yes being a soft metal they actually stretch with age and vibration reducing their current capacity. So for instance a fuse that should carry 20 amps may be reduced to 15 or less resulting in a false positive.

thanks for that info i did not think that angle of it but have had the ends come lose . and they will pass a ohms test but fail a real load test .

If you can find the temp sensor on the engine, ground the wire lead to some thing the temp gauge should than read full hot.