Resurfacing Roof

Hi Friends

I am gearing myself to refinish the roof and can use some advice.

Over sometime I have read few posts related to roof issues. I remember one post a while ago where this member systematically wrote the whole process listing materials used. I searched for this post again but I cannot find it.

This is my first time doing resurfacing roof. Roof of my rig is metal, sagged in few places but in general it still drains reasonably well. I see the roof finish, white, is peeling and cracking at places and there is a small drip over the bed and over the hand sink areas. My rig remains covered with a oversized tarp In the raining season, which is 3/4 of the year in around Portland, Oregon area. But that was not the case with the previous owner as I have noticed wood rot in some areas. 

The notes I have taken in the past call for Dicor Lap Sealants Self leveling and non Sag, Butyl Seal Tape, Mineral spirit or Accetone for cleaning, Henrys Tropical Silicon coating. I also read somewhere use of Eternabond tape for sealing around penetrations and vents and such. As you can tell I have not done this before, I would appreciate learning from your experience.  Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having heck of a time removing old Butyl tape from around the roof vents, is there any easier way to remove this stuff. Please help.

Not sure what you think is the butyl tape. The butyl tape is the seal between the vents and the roof. Have you removed these vents. If not your not looking at butyl tape. Is there a sealant covering the vent screws? That would be the Dicor you mentioned in the previous post and that is a pain to get off. I just replaced some vents and the butyl came off easily with a paint scraper. I've never had to deal with the Dicor because my Sunrader came from the factory with just butyl. 

A very carefully used heat gun on low or a blow dryer will work to soften the sealant so you can scrape it off. Wear protective gloves and be very careful not to get anything too hot. Heat gun on low ONLY. I usually just stick with my blow dryer. Safer

Show us a pic if you can. 

Linda S

Thank you Linda

Now you know how much I know of this roof stuff.

You are correct, I was removing the sealant around one of the vents. Later I did try using heat gun and it was much easier. Still not sure what I am doing but willing to try. So let me ask you couple of more questions:

1. Would you recommend Eternabond tape or Decor self leveling sealant for roof joints and around vents and other penetrations ?

2. For metal roof is Henry's Tropical Silicone white roof coating a good option ?

I love this forum, it is a wonderful source of information. Thanks to all of you.

I have used both eternabond tape and dicor self leveling lap sealant on rv roofs. Both are very good products. I've seen people complain on forums about the look of the eternabond tape. It looks like it is; tape! Eternabond tape adheres extremely well. Be sure you are confident that is the product you want to use because you will have a hell of a time removing it once it is on. Works great at sealing. Dicor self leveling lap sealant is easy to use and smooths down as it settles where you put it. Gold standard for a caulk roofing product. All of the issues of using caulk; messy, leaves a goopy look people complain about. Self leveling will be a big mess on vertical surfaces and should not be used there. 

I use elastomeric roof coating on my aluminum roof; not familiar with Henry's silicone coating. A number of companies sell elastomeric roof coatings and I'd imagine they would be similar. Most recently I used Rustoleum's product (about 4 years ago). It still looks fine and I will probably plan on a new coat within the next year or two.