Hi, fellow Toyotans! Haven't been on here for some time, but have always gotten great help in the past …

So it looks as if I ought to replace all the tires on our Warrior (down to about 1/8" +/-) before taking a 900 mile trip in mid-August.

I've been doing some research and it seems to suggest that the original tires that Toyota specified were not properly rated for the weight of the Winnebago …

It currently has 185R 14 LT's—I've seen 185R 14/8 100P's and SV820 185R 14's suggested. We usually don't put more than 1500-2000 miles a year on it, and are hoping to upgrade in a year or two, so I don't think we need anything more durable than a 25000 mile tire, if that. It has been said that 8-ply tires are more suitable than 6-ply …

I would really appreciate some expert guidance on this, but not from somebody who's trying to sell me some tires! 😝

We live on Bainbridge Island WA, near Seattle, with many choices of vendor. Any ideas?

185R14 is the correct tire size. 6 ply and 8 ply are outdated terms. All that matters is the load rating. Almost all 185R14 tires will have a D load rating.

Max load 1850 lbs. Dual max is slightly less, about 1750. Remember you have 4 in the back so that's still 7000 lbs load limit back there. Google 185R14 tires and you will come up with dozens of options. If you have a local place that carries the brand they might be able to order them for you but online shopping is almost always cheaper. Then you just pay a local place to install. 

I only shop online for all my vehicles. I'm really cheap and I've never had a problem.

Linda S

What is the correct tire ratio for the '92 Warrior? Hankook Kinergy ST H735 is a 185/75R14, would that be appropriate? Local company quotes $653.74 inc. taxes for 6 tires and mounting, etc. Does this seem reasonable

There is NO ratio. Look at the load rating of that tire. That's a passenger car tire. 185R14 is way different tire. 

Look at these This website has you put in blank in the aspect ratio column to show there's no aspect ratio

185-Blank-14 Tires | Tires-easy.com

Any of these tires will do and this is a good company. I have ordered from them many times and had tires delivered once in only 3 days.

Linda S

If you look around you can get 6 of the correct tires for $600-700.  If you can get them with taxes and installed at that price, EXCELLENT deal!  

The correct tires (usually) have a “c” at the end. This denotes “commercial” and not load range. Mine are load range D. 

These are MUCH MUCH heavier duty than basic passenger tires. 

I believe my Nexens were $80 a piece.  But I’m getting them at cost. Looking at Linda’s link, I can’t say about the first one the Acceleras (I had these in my cart, but was able to finance a set through work).  Thunderers are not good tires in my experience. The next, Nexens, I have. They have a good rep. The Hankook Vantras are AWESOME. I would have gone with those myself, but I was able to get the Nexens for almost $200 less.

Edited by thewanderlustking

I love my Thunderer R402’s (15”). I’ve logged over 40K miles within the last 3 years and they still have enough tread to pass an inspection. Replaced them in May with new 402’s. Should be good for another 40K.

I use simpletire because I’ve found their prices very reasonable and they include free shipping to an authorized installer or add $1.50 per tire to have shipped to your door.

The 14” are R401’s but I’m sure they’ll have the same wear characteristics.

Thanks, everybody! Linda, I looked at tires-easy—Thunderer Ranger R101 185R14C D/8PR BSW, 6 tires free shipping, $615.84. I shopped around a bit and found same tires at Giga Tires, 6 tires total $550.00 (including $106.30 shipping …)

Anybody have a better deal they know about? Tuesday will check with my mechanic for installation costs.

Just making things more confusing.......LOL. I bought my tires from Priority Tire (no shipping charges). They have Accelera Ultra 3 195r/14 D rated for $75. You then get $15 off any order over $100 so $72.50 a tire. You MAY NOT want 195. I wanted slightly more clearance as where I park it came close to dragging when I back in. 

I'm surprised there are so many options for a 195 now. Used to be only a couple of companies made them. Great price on some of them too. My  Nissan needs tires too and they say 195 on the door. Might go with one of these. Thanks

Linda S