Fans for fridge vent stack

I remember earlier discussions of installing computer fans in the fridge vent stack to help cool the coils, but I can’t find them.  Has anyone done this, and if so, how many and how did you mount them?  I’m thinking a cut-off switch would be useful so that they were only running when the fridge was on and the weather hot enough to affect the fridge.  Mine usually works well, except on long hot days when I’m driving east and the sun is beating on that wall. 

I did this on my RV. I used a scrap of FRP that I cut to fit tightly in the vent stack. Then cut 2 circles that were fan size and bolted the fans to the FRP.

I installed a thermo switch on the top heat exchanger. 

The switch trips when the fridge is working. You can hear the fans cycle on when the temp in the back gets to hot. The fans usually don't run below 70 degrees. Above 100 they run constantly. I have a 280w solar setup so the fan power use is taken care of. They make a difference when in high temps and your parked

You can also seal the inlet grill and force the air through the cooling duct.

Here is a source of things...https://www.ebay.com/str/applianceandair?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Edited by WME

Google 12 volt computer fan. I came up with tons of them all different sizes. An on off switch would be easy to add but might be difficult to run to interior. Lower fridge vent door is easy to open.  Quick stop and you could turn it on or off. If your already driving though I don't think it's going to make much difference.  Air is already being forced through from the movement of the camper. 

Linda S

Thank you both!   The fan sets with thermostat look awesome!  And the exterior fridge hatch is exactly where I was thinking of putting the switch.  Turn power to the fans on and off at same time I’m turning propane on and off, so they are only on-line when my rig is in use. 

Edited by KGordon

I've got a friend who mounted a small solar panel - just enough to run his muffin type fridge vent fan - and ran it directly to the fan through a switch. When on, the stack is ventilated as long as it's light outside - during the heat of the day when it's needed most.

I mounted two PC cooling fans on to the inside of the  lower fridge access panel. Easier than climbing on the roof! They push air up through the vent and work well to help keep things cooling. I put a switch inside the cabinet adjacent to the vent - there's also a 12v supply there for the 12v outlet so I tapped into that for the fans.