So my rig came with the air bag levelers which have been ruptured since before I owned it. I've had three different vehicles with these air bags and they all have failed. Wouldn't it be a lot better to just have springs that can keep the vehicle at the right height? Is anything available? I'm always dragging going into driveways and my back country camping is severely limited.

My air bags are original from 1986 and don't leak a bit. What usually makes the bags fail is not keeping enough air in them. Have you located the leak. Sometimes it just the hoses or the schrader valve that are leaking. That's a cheap and easy fix but you have been driving with no air so probably won't work for you. Replacement bags only are available. Do you know what kind is on your rig? Picture? 

If you just want to fix your old springs many of us have been switching to the ARB CS010R springs.

Amazon.com: ARB CS010R Old Man Emu/Dakar Leaf Spring: Automotive

Made for a 4x4 they have decidedly more lift and there is another one they have with even more lift. 

If you want to have someone who is an expert look at your current springs this is the place to go. A real craftsman who does fabulous work. Your just lucky you don't live far from him

Sacramento Spring | Full Forge Service, Spring Manufacturing, Custom Main Leaves & More (sacspring.com)

Linda S

The air bags themselves are cracked and split. It's likely the previous owner didn't even know they were on there and never put air in. Like I said, I've owned 3 RV's with split air bags.  I've always felt that air springs are a bandaid for inadequate suspension. All they do is level and add nothing to weight capacity. Yes, Sacramento Spring is not far away. Thanks.

My camper had the original airbags. They kinda worked when I got it but failed entirely within a year. The camper had not been used consistently so I suspect, as Linda noted, lack of air in them caused extra wear. I removed the original Firestone / 3T system. The bags were dry rotted in places and creased from sitting for long periods with no air. I dithered for some time undecided on the best replacement option. In the end I chose the Air Lift 88113 kit. This has the added "jounce bumper" inside the airbag which prevents air bag damage when deflated and may help to some extent with ride quality (by using lower air pressure while driving but retaining some added support). The install was a pain but I'm pleased with the results. I also replaced the shocks while I was there. My camper already had some beefy aftermarket shocks but they looked very old so while I was there it seemed like a good idea. I used KYB shocks. 

I'm happy with the results. The ride height is about 2" higher, the adjustability of the  air bags is nice, and can be used to assist with levelling. The ride quality has remained about the same - likely as the old shocks were still functioning OK - the rears especially were still good, the fronts a little tired. I did also add some rollers to my tow hitch to prevent damage from grounding. I made my own from Home Depot casters and U bolts as the kits for this purpose are $$. My solution works well enough and cost less than $20.

I should add that I looked carefully at the springs but they appear to have retained a decent amount of arch. I figured replacing the air bags and shocks was a good first step. I'm pleased with the results and don't plan to replace the springs any time soon!

An easy way to add inches to your ride height is to replace your factory shackles with taller (adjustable) ones.

This is the best “bang for your buck” out there.

Attached are photos of custom shackles I made. You can order this style online. Bottom picture shows factory next to custom.

E2794574-F87A-45E9-95F2-A5E87F71EE72.jpeg

96B60619-856D-4A07-B7C4-D55DB9EFE084.jpeg

Edited by fred heath

Yes they will but you will still have weak springs only a bit higher. Me I would hit up a local spring shop and have them make you a set. My old Nova Star had a 9 leaf spring pack yeah it did ride a bit rough I'm guessing they were for a real one ton truck.

I thought about shackles. I don't know that my springs are necessarily weak and don't know how I would know. My girl friend already complains about the rough ride so not sure I want really stiff springs. I assume Toyota made these chassis' all the same and they ended up with very different coaches on them. Does anyone know if they had different spring ratings available for different coaches? My Itasca is quite long and hangs waaay out past the rear axle which is compounding my problem. It probably should have had a longer wheelbase but I don't have that choice. Just want to be able to pull in my driveway.

I went the same route as neilp and added the same airlift kit, and replaced all four of my shocks. I used Bilstein shocks and they are stiff and will not solve your rough ride issue. The powerlift bags will lift your rear end and provide more clearance but will not do much for the ride quality either. Tire pressure is another piece of the equation for smoothing your ride.  These motorhomes are not known for their smooth ride quality; only so much can be done. 

I've been toying with the idea of adding these:

https://activesuspension.com/products/kits/1986-2004-toyota-pickup-2wd/

I'm going to wait until I have my new leaf springs and bushings installed before I spend the extra money. Youtube reviews seem to be very positive of these on pickup trucks hauling or towing.