Refrigerator, toilet, and generator replacement advice please

After lurking around these parts for a while this is officially my first plea for help. Also, my first ever foray into a forum of any kind. So... hi everyone:) 

We recently bought a 1990 Sea Breeze with 28,000 original miles that seems to be in pretty amazing shape. Pretty stoked, but we have zero experience with RVs and so this 100% new territory. We need to fix, replace, and refresh a number of things. Starting with...

- the original Dometic fridge was replaced before us with one of those dorm room refrigerators from costco. We want to replace the fridge and will rebuild cabinet. Advice on how to determine if we need a 2-way or 3-way fridge and preferred models? We are not planning to live in the Sea Breeze, but there will be long trips and extended stays in Baja so I would like to be smartly situated to keep things cold.

- and how about a new toilet while we're at it? I've seen the Home Depot potties and just wondering if there is more to consider than how the commode is attached to the floor and septic system without leaking. What do y'all recommend?

- the generator doesn't work and the previous owner never used it. I want to be able to charge a laptop so I can work while on the road, but don't anticipate we'll be at spots where we can plug in to electricity directly all the time. I'd like an easy solution since we won't be living in it full time, but I have not clue about generators. 

Thanks in advance! 

I've not replaced the toilet or fridge so I will stay away from that but to your generator issue. Are you just looking to recharge or run things like your A/C? If all you want to do is charge your laptop you would have many easy options. The smallest generator you can find will do that. You can do that even with solar. (which if all I wanted was a laptop charge is what I would do). 

Now, you say the one on board doesn't work........onboard ones that came with a unit are pretty handy. They will run off the truck gas tank which means no filling. You might have someone look and see if it can be repaired. The carb may just need cleaned. 

Otherwise the inverter generators seem to be the way to go. They are supposed to be a little more efficient and are a little more compact. They are supposed to be quieter but that seems to be a debateable point. 

IMO.

Take your time with your decision regarding your generator. A lot of people wish they had a built in one, and others regret having removed theirs. The generator is likely very fixable and you may decide to one day dig in yourself once you read up on it. I have never read about one being worn out from use. Rv generators (and generators in general) suffer from too little use. Rv generators languish unused once an owner can not start it because of the challenge of learning to drop it down from its compartment to problem solve and work on it. I agree with John Thomas odds are the carburetor needs a good cleaning. Air filter replaced, in line fuel filter, spark plug, oil change. Take your time; don't be in a rush to get rid of it. 

it wont take long in the 100+ degree weather we're having for that ac to be important. i agree that fixing the gen you have is the best thing to do.

i just rnr ed my domitic fridg. hardest part was getting enough room in front of it to get it out.  had to remove everything from the front==knobs, door, lock, etc

There were two types one was a Koller read loud! and a Onan one of the big benefits was remote start from inside you could run the generator while driving charging the camper battery and keeping the coach cool, most likely you can have the generator repaired for a good bit less than a new portable one. Take it to a generator dealer or an independent shop that does small engines.

OK so refrigerator. With a 3 way you can run it on 12 volt while driving so the gas is off. With 2 way your only options are 110 electric or gas. I use my gas while driving. It's possibly more dangerous but I've never had a problem. 3 ways are harder to find now

Here's a Dometic  2 way for a decent price. The big savings on this is the free shipping. Regular shipping prices can be hundreds and lot of places will only ship to commercial addresses because they are shipped by freight, think big rig.

Dometic 4 Cu. Ft. 2 Way Refrigerator | eBay

Here is 3 way on ebay for slightly more and a little smaller but still close to the original 4 cubic foot. Not a big name brand but a couple of people here have bought them

SMAD 3 Way AC(DC12V)/Gas Propane Refrigerator Campervan Off-Grid Cabin RV Fridge | eBay

If your handy take a look at the propane lines that went to the old fridge. They need to have not been cut too short and properly capped of to attach to the new one. 

Google RV LP refrigerator and get a better idea of what your looking for. Dometic and Norcold are the larger name brands

Toilet

Is there something wrong with yours? I would definitely buy an RV toilet. Made from plastic they don't add the weight that a ceramic one does. Measure yours and try to find a close fit. Everything is cheaper on eBay look there. You need to get a flange and seal too.

Lap top. I charge my laptop with my onboard batteries. Your laptop doesn't use 110. they are usually around 19 volts. A converter that ups the voltage from 12 to 19 can be bought lots of places and they don't use hardly any battery power. They plus into what looks like a cigarette lighter plug and there should be at least one in your coach, not the cab.

Amazon.com: Outtag 65W Universal Laptop Car Charger DC Adapter Replacement for Dell HP ASUS Acer Sony Samsung LG Toshiba Fujitsu Notebook Laptop Power Supply Cord 18.5V to 20V, w/15 Tips: Computers & Accessories

Your generator. What kind is it. Please post a picture with door open from outside. If it's a Kohler it might not be able to be fixed. Most parts are no longer available. But it's possible it's just dirty or the wiring to the inside starter is bad.

If it's an Onan it should be fixed. You need a small engine repair place.

Couple of other things. Might be worth a try to call Dr George in Sacramento. They might have a used fridge in good condition. 

RV Doctor George of Sacramento, CA - RV Parts - Service

And if you need install help I like this place. Might try getting estimate for all the parts you need too. They used to be my go to place when they had a shop in San Leandro but now only Sacramento.

Allied Trailer Supply (alliedtrailerparts.com)

Keep talking. We are here to help

Linda S

I will add with the on board generator all of your outlets will be working to plug what ever into.

Hi good people and all your good advice. The Sea Breeze is with the mechanic now getting much needed attention - and a new timing belt. 

Sounds like I need to take my time with the generator - I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but will have the mechanic take a look at it too. Hopefully it can be repaired rather than replaced.

Linda: I'll post a photo of the generator when I get it back. Meanwhile, I'll do some research on the links and references you shared. I like the looks of that 3-way refrigerator on Ebay, especially for the price. 

Toilet - honestly, it's in pretty bad shape. 

Probably 1000 more questions to come, so big thanks again

Dometic makes a line of RV toilets that have a ceramic liners. They are MUCH easier to clean than plastic bowls

• 2 weeks later...

Good news: our mechanic is able to work on the generator. It's an Onan so we will clean it up and get it running rather than replace. Thanks for the advice!

Bad news: the roof is in pretty bad shape. There are leaks at a few seams and cracks. Worse, the front drivers side overcab bed section looks like it was damaged and repaired, but the repair didn't keep out the water, so the wall is rotted and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if it makes sense to put a new roof on it (also $$$) or if there is a way to fully repair it so that it's water tight. I know it will need to be sealed, we'll need to pull off and clean all the vents and hood stuff from the top, re-seal, and then use that roof-goo over the whole top. We need to replace the weather strip that runs along the edges, too. My question is, do we need to put a new fiberglass rooftop, too? 

Would love advice on this, too. Thank you!