Need help identifying roof sealant material

Dorian

This is my first post here, have been learning so much reading through these forums, an absolute wealth of knowledge to be found!  Our new rig is a 1987 new horizon, rear kitchen. It's in decent condition, but after studying up on here I am finding many diy repairs that previous owners have done that go against best practices. That is being generous. At some point they apparently decided to smear sillycone around every seam, every window etc. So I've got that to look forward to. But I first want to do what needs to be done up on the roof, and work my way down from there. So I'm trying to figure out what they smeared all over the roof. My best guess is that it's some sort of tar based asphalt crap, prone to cracking. doesn't look like proper lap sealant, seams don't look taped with eternabond, all the right ways of doing it. Any suggestions on how to clean it off to do it's right the first time? And I'll throw in a picture of silicone caulk hell just for good measure, lol. Thanks in advance for the moral support that I know that I will need as I begin to tackle this project! 

20210601_075409_HDR.jpg

20210606_130711.jpg

20210606_130713.jpg