1981 Toyota Sunrader Hitch Issue

JRD81

Hey all,

This will be a first post for me - I’ve been stalking around for a bit as my wife and I have been gutting and renovating a 1981 Toyota Sunrader. 

We’re trying to put the finishing touches on it, but I’ve run into an odd issue that hopefully some of you can shed light on. The hitch is a very strange size, and was perhaps cut off at some point? I’m attaching a photo. Inner measures 1.75” and the outer is 2”. The hole for the locking pin is pretty far back, much further than I’m used to. 

I was hoping to run a very small rear cargo carrier for a bucket with hose, some extra fuel, etc. but neither a 1 1/4” nor a 2” hitch fit. Has anyone run into this? Thoughts?

0607B837-6456-4539-899A-A17C04FD9185.jpeg

Looks kind of home made to me. Some had a flange on the end but the interior size still would be 2 or 1 1/4. What does the interior measure? Usually the tube is at least 12 gauge.

definitly homemade.  does the thinwall square tube go all the way back to the frame mount?   that tube should be at least .125 wall. is that a bumper it's welded to or a drain hose box?.

if all you're doing is using it for the carrier find a square tube that fits and adapt it

It’s welded to the bumper, all the way back. Looks like there’s an old 1.25” piece it was put over the top of….I’d bet someone cut the old one and installed this one over top. 

Thanks for the detective work!