Last night I discovered that the tr416 valve stems didn’t fit the new front dually wheels I got. On closer inspection I realized the wheels are actually different from what is on the back.  Crap.  I need to sort this ASAP since it looks like I will have to head to the yard first thing tomorrow morning and hope 5e other wheels are still there...

The questions: 

1)  1866 Mini Cruiser, and the donor vehicle is a 1991 with the V6. Drawing a b

ank as to what model Motorhome at moment. Bit will the front wheels from the 91 fit the rear of my 86?  Trying to avoid the musical jacks game tonight since wheels are currently off the front.

2) Is the rear axle different in any way, and if so is there any advantage to grabbing the whole 91 rear end?  

Edit: Mention of different ratios has been made.  I didn’t see any identifier plates though to figure out what I have or what the possible donor is likely to be...  I. Sure that won’t be cheap either. 

All the the trouble I have gone through with the front conversion, I’m heading over to grab the other 4 wheels so I have a full matched set.  The 91 has the three hole dually wheels.  The 86 has 5 or 6 hole wheels.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

I can't help with valve stems but yes the wheels from an 86 are slightly different than a 91. I don't think the dimensions are different but the 86 uses a flat nut on the lugs and the 91 uses a cone nut needed for centering properly.

Here are a couple of sites with info about where you can find axle and gearing information like where the tags are and type of differential used

Gearratiosanddiffs (brian894x4.com)

Erik's Toyota Differential info (4x4wire.com)

The V6 you took the parts off of does use a different differential but gearing is still usually 4.10 the same as 90% of the dual wheel trucks. Some sites will tell you your 86 has a 3.9 gearing. I have never found a 3.9 on any of our factory duallys. For the newer trucks there are rare cases of a 4.30 gearing. This is usually on the extremely rare V6 with a 5 speed manual transmission. May not be rare on regular trucks but on a motorhome very rare.

Linda S

Thank you Linda!  Not sure what happened to my response???  Anyways, I’m heading out in a few to the yard again.  I think I will take an extra half hour before I go to make sure the new wheels will bolt up to the old rear end. Sounds like it will, but that I might need to grab studs and nuts...  That in itself is a big task if I want new ones...  

Okay new wheels fit on the old axle fine. In fact the old wheels on this are also a cone fit on the lug nuts. So I just need/want the 4 additional matching wheels. I can do without if they happen to be gone...  Really wish I could find more of the older style wheels.  Anyways off now, wish me luck!!!  

PS: I’m so taking like 4 battery packs today...  Not going to run out of power this time!!!

When all is done and the dust settles, will you have extra 6 bolt rims and nuts?? There is always a market here for them, so you could help out a needy fellow toy house owner. 

P.S. Solar panels weigh a whole bunch less then 4 or 5 batteries

Edited by WME

i think hes refering to batteries for a power tool

55 minutes ago, extech said:

i think hes refering to batteries for a power tool

LOL yep!  I used two packs too. The seventh wheel was mounted underneath with a chain hoist spare tire holder. Rusted. So I cut the bolts off. That was fun, I forgot safety glasses!

1 hour ago, WME said:

When all is done and the dust settles, will you have extra 6 bolt rims and nuts?? There is always a market here for them, so you could help out a needy fellow toy house owner. 

Yes I will!  I have 4 of the 6 lug 5 or 6 hole Mini Cruiser wheels.  Probably no spare nuts though.  I went through several trying to save a front stud....  But yes the wheels will be available. I need them for a few more weeks as I’m going to clean and repaint these 3 hole wheels. 

In fact any established member here in need of them, can have for price of packaging/shipping  

Linda, I was thinking we should make our own mini classifieds thread in the general section, since the actual classified section is permanently broken. Would there be any objections?  I would say just simple posts with item for sale, trade, wanted, or free. 

Edited by thewanderlustking

Yes I thought of doing a classifieds section but it would have to be a new complete section on the site. A classified thread in the general section would overwhelm it and distract from actual questions. I asked Greg about doing this months ago and he doesn't seem interested. I can't do it, only the owner. That said I don't mind if someone wants to post something they want to sell. Different titles though so I don't start a very long thread I don't want. I already do enough without having to sort out more. 

Linda S