no good dometic.

so i removed my dometic 461 and turned it over several times in 48 hours.  still no cooling so.... anyone here needing parts im willing to send them for shipping costs only.  the door, seal ,shelves, and freezer are very nice.   

you can contact me at zaveson@gmail.com.     randy

20210602_134912.jpg

20210602_134931.jpg

20210602_134941.jpg

They do make replacement cooling units other wise it looks to be in nice shape. Might be worth fixing.

from what i've seen the replacements cost as much as a new fridg.

thanks Linda.  maybe i will reconsider

I more thing to try. I never quite understood why people think turning it over would get it working again. If the coils had never leaked and you don't know if they did. If it happened many years ago there would be no residual smell. OK but if the stuff is still in there it's not working because the ammonia has crystalized and no longer flows. While it's upside down gently heat the coils. Space heater, blow dryer, maybe a heat gun but on low and move it around constantly. If you can slip something behind the coils to protect the insulation that would help. It's possible the heat could help dissolve the crystals. Do this several times upright, upside down turning frequently. Might take an afternoon but even if it can save you $400 it would be good. When your done plug it in to 110 and see if anything happens overnight. Oh and make sure the dial is turned to AC and the temp dial is in the middle

Linda S

thank you so much linda.  you really look out for us.  as for turning it over, the manual for it says to.  

so for now im going to renig on my offer of parts

i will try the heating thing. ive got plenty of time

randy

• 2 weeks later...

so i ordered a new cooling unit.  arriving today.   realized now would be the time to add a 12v heater in case i want it down the line,  but i cant find a part no. for it, or an interchange.    anyone?

just to share.   tore my old cooling unit apart.   this is why you can't tell if it's good or not.   once the smell is gone, the evidence is encased in foam

20210611_151326.jpg

On 6/11/2021 at 9:15 PM, linda s said:

At least now you know the cooling unit is the problem and replacing it is the fix. 

Linda S

Linda, I have the same RM461 and my electrical heating element has failed. Do you know what part number I need? Gas works fine, electric slowly got weaker and then failed entirely recently.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, lansisco said:

Linda, I have the same RM461 and my electrical heating element has failed. Do you know what part number I need? Gas works fine, electric slowly got weaker and then failed entirely recently.  Thanks!

This is for the 3 way model

Dometic 0173735010 Heater 125Watt 12Volt

And this is the 2 way

DOMETIC 0173756016 RV REFRIGERATOR HEAT HEATING ELEMENT 160 WATT

Both available online

Download the manual so you have all the information you need in the future

Mandiag.pdf (bryantrv.com)

Linda S

thanks so much.  i looked for that manual.   where was it hiding?