Good day to everyone,

I’m driving a 1983 Dolphin 4spd manual 22R engine around the midwest these days.

I noticed coolant has splashed behind the dual coolant/washer fluid reservoir and evaporated leaving white residue on the master cylinder, master vac and assorted hoses. There was some coolant loss and I decided to refill the reservoir, clean off the residue and see if it would happen again. Yes it did.

I decided not to refill the reservoir (the fluid level was still well above LOW) and the coolant spray disappeared under most driving scenarios except for long distance and hilly driving where there would be a small amount of spray but not enough to notice much of a difference in coolant level.

I wiped everything down and observed that the top of the reservoir, below where the cap seals, becomes wet with coolant everytime i drive it. 

Do i simply need a new cap gasket? Or cap? Or reservoir tank? Or is there a more serious issue lurking? 

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Camusus

Odds are your problem isn't major. It could be the cap or your reservoir is cracked. It's pretty common on old vehicles. I'm assuming your vehicle isn't overheating or running hot.  

Thanks for the reply,

I think I’ll put some JB Weld around the top of the reservoir and fashion a new gasket for the cap and see what happens. Unfortunately, the reservoir cap has been discontinued to my knowledge. The engine temp increases to about half way on the gauge when I drive on hilly fast terrain but quickly comes down on the downhill. Never overheated the engine.