Plugging portable generator into shore power outlet?

Sean C

Hello Toyota Motorhome community!

I've never posted before because I almost always find what I'm looking for in existing forum conversations, so thanks for that! I've got an '86 Granville and I'm hoping someone can assist me with a "sanity check" on my generator game plan-

My original Onan 2.8 was connected to the converter via a modern Surge Guard automatic transfer switch that auto-detects between generator power and shore power. I could never get the Onan to run reliably and I ended up getting a good deal on a modern portable 3000w inverter generator with a 30amp outlet, so I went for it. My question is, is there any reason not to power the coach with the generator by simply plugging it directly into the 30 amp shore outlet? If this is OK to do, I'll just disconnect the old generator's wiring from the automatic transfer switch. I do want the coach battery to charge while the generator is running, I understand that this happens via the converter (although not super well) with my original series 6300 converter with a 3 amp charging rate. This converter is being upgraded shortly with a PD4645VL 45 Amp converter from bestconverter.com, so this should improve the battery charging situation via the shore outlet.

Any thoughts? Am I good to go with the plan or are there concerns I'm not thinking about? Thanks all!

-Sean

Good plan, IF you don't camp in the rain😝

Just a point of reference. The Onan microlite 2800 will recharge the starting (coach) battery while running even without a converter.

I’m not crazy about the auto transfer setup. The Onan manual transfer switch is more user friendly.

I’m with Tim. Save the Onan if you can.

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like this isn't a definite "no" situation. In regards to reviving the Onan, after already throwing a few hundred bucks at it, it spending 2+ months at the local small engine repair guy's shop (who I don't think ever made a real attempt to troubleshoot), and facing probably another 3 to 400 bucks for a new carb, I'm definitely committed at this point to the new portable generator, which also serves some other practical purposes for me outside of RV use.

Fred, to your point- when I am running the portable generator to power the coach, would I be better off disconnecting the coach battery from the house and charging it directly from the second outlet on the generator with a small auto charger?  This would eliminate the need for the battery to charge via the converter and my battery is easily accessible with terminal quick-disconnects. Pros/cons? Doesn't matter? Thanks again

5 hours ago, Sean C said:

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like this isn't a definite "no" situation. In regards to reviving the Onan, after already throwing a few hundred bucks at it, it spending 2+ months at the local small engine repair guy's shop (who I don't think ever made a real attempt to troubleshoot), and facing probably another 3 to 400 bucks for a new carb, I'm definitely committed at this point to the new portable generator, which also serves some other practical purposes for me outside of RV use.

Fred, to your point- when I am running the portable generator to power the coach, would I be better off disconnecting the coach battery from the house and charging it directly from the second outlet on the generator with a small auto charger?  This would eliminate the need for the battery to charge via the converter and my battery is easily accessible with terminal quick-disconnects. Pros/cons? Doesn't matter? Thanks again

Your converter should charge your house battery. No need to disconnect it and reconnect to the generator.

I have a cheap 12V LED charge meter attached to my coach battery. Display is inside the coach giving me voltage reading at a glance.

I had a friend with a large MH with a 5K Onan generator he asked me to install the new one he had because it didn't run. He gave me the old one and at a cost of under $5 and a bit of labor it once again was running. It was the quietest generator I have ever heard because it only turned at 1800 RPM instead of 3600. It now belongs to the armature radio club we use it for events that run all night because it's so quiet. So yes your new generator will charge the battery but if you are going to all that trouble then it would be advisable to replace the old converter charger. They were low current chargers longer recharge time more noise and gasoline. I have to ask, a 3,000 watt generator is going to weigh around 100LBS where are you going to put this thing? Because of the way a MH generator is designed it forces hot air and exhaust out the bottom of the MH a portable one does not so it kind of rules out putting it in the original compartment. 

Fred, sounds good, a battery monitor is a good idea, I wasn't thinking about that. I was wondering how people were keeping track of not cycling their MH battery below 50%, I've always just waited until the lights got dim and then recharged...

Maineah, I got a smokin deal on a Generac GP3000i which weighs 60lbs and is roughly 22"x13"x18", so it fits in the generator compartment. Here's the link for the spec sheet- 

https://www.generac.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/portable-recreational-power/gp series/gp3000i-spec-sheet-10000016724.pdf

I have no intention of running it inside the compartment, this is just its storage location now. When I need generator power I'll just pull it out and plug in via the shore outlet. Although less convenient than an internally running unit, this suits my needs.

A battery monitor is a good deal, get one that reads capacity and not just voltage. All though you can find charts that will help you convert v to capacity. A battery "gas" gauge is much handier. 

Also if you running your generator sitting on the ground, get a chain and chain it to your bumper.

I second the chain suggestion! Make it a good heavy one with a hardened padlock, if you can :)