lay down propane

so i have a 84 dolphin and the propane tank compartment is too small to stand up a small tank. i have a 2ft tall tank i think will fit on its side. 

can i do it , or is there a special tank to lay down

there was a bbq tank in there on its side.   

can i have my tank converted for horizontal use?

No the tanks are different inside and deliver the propane to your regulator differently. A barbeque tank on it's side can release liquid propane instead of gas and becomes a fire hazard or worse. You need to have a horizontal tank or some other tank that is small enough to stand upright. That's why I asked how tall your compartment is. 

Linda S

Yeah they are out there but they are some pricy! They are generally pretty small too just a bit bigger than half the size of a 20# tank. Propane boils at something close to - 40 there is free space in the tank for propane gas, the stand up ones the space is at the top the horizontal ones the space is on it's side and the discharge is above the level of the liquid propane. 

I hadn't planned on using my propane system until and if I can completely go through it all. I don't really trust a 35 year old propane system. I'm new at this but I had glanced into the propane cubby and noticed it had the outlet in the middle. I would think a horizontal tank would discharge from the top but I was still happy to see it's labelled for "this side up if used horizontal".  

Yes this tank is smaller but propane goes a long way and this one is light and easy to refill. If your not winter camping and using the heater I don't think you would need to fill this more than twice a year. 

Linda S

• 1 month later...

i just a few weeks ago solved this same  problem on my dolphon 1987 i left a post on here about . i installed 2 11 pound short tanks propane tanks these are about 2 1/2 gallons each . cost a little over 100 dollors plus new pigtails and a tee both together is 22 pounds of propane works great made 2 trips already 9 days total.. you can buy a tee and hose extend a flow i think its called hook a standup bbq tank on the ground  tee in the onboard tanks . those 2/1/2 are working great for me . the china made horazontal tank is 150 dollors . the manchester is 450 dollors . i replaced a 1973 lay down tank.