Pike's Peak

Scott iv

I've read of failures on here making it up Pike's Peak. I want to know whether anyone made it. Can it be done? I know one specific failure I read of was the result of an overweight condition including hauling a motorcycle, passengers, a built in generator, and who knows how much water in the tanks.  I want to know how high people have gone. 

I just searched this site from the beginning and the answer is no one made it. There are a couple of people on the toyota-campers IO group who claim to but it's kind of like entering your camper that you put so much work into  in demolition derby. If you've got an automatic tranny its very likely you will hit your stop speed. That is the point where you have your pedal to the floor but your torque converter just slips and you go nowhere. I did see the Odyssey 4x4 tried back when he had his Escaper and that's what happened to him. Of course that's not the scariest part. You have to come down. Not a lot of places to pull over when your brakes are smoking. Choose your battles wisely Grasshopper

Linda S

Not something I would try, lot of peaks in the NE where MH's are banned.

Hmmmm. Got me thinking. Switch to some 4.88 gears in the rear axle. Would be neat to be the first Toyota Motorhome to make it.

I live in the Rockies. Ive been over many 11,000 ft passes. Highest was Estes Park Trail Ridge Road, it has a max grade of 7%. I started up pass in 1st gear at 4500 rpm at the beginning of the last grade and the rpm was dropping all the way over the top (12,183 ft). I ended at 3000 rpm absolutely WOT. Kinda of running out of HP and ideas at the same time.

Pikes Peak averages 7% with steeper sections. With  a steeper grade the transmission torque converter may stall if the grade is too steep, even if you had enough HP. 4.88 rear axle gears would  be most welcome

That’s the main reason I’m pushing my friend to LS swap his Galaxy. He’ll be able to be the first Toyota motorhome up Pikes. 

Of course once you get up, you gotta come down. I don’t know much about the Dolphins, but I doubt their brakes would be up to the task of coming back down.

Once the LS swap is done, and the brakes are upgraded, I’ll post a pic of his Galaxy on Pikes Peak.

Edited by GALAXY93JB

I've been amazed by some of the grades I've made it up here in Wisconsin. Of course low elevation and not continuous for the duration of some of the peaks in the Rockies and Appalachians (yes Wisconsin has some large steep hilly areas believe it or not).  I enjoy hearing about others making it through the Rockies and Appalachians. I look forward to getting my camper in some mountains sometime this year. Based on consensus so far I'll pass on Pike's Peak.  

I've driven over every pass in the Sierra's from Fresno to Lassen including Kaiser pass road. I have no upgrades on my engine, all stock. Went pretty slow at times but always made it fine except for Kaiser pass road. Got to Mono Hot Springs no problem but the getting out was the problem. Didn't quite realize that grade was so steep going in. Hit my stall speed trying to get out. Dumped my gray tank, kicked my friend out and got up the hill by putting it in neutral gunning it and throwing it into gear. Every time I went a few feet farther. I was very lucky the killer grade only went about a quarter mile before I could drive again. FUN. 

Linda S

I did fail to make it up pikes peak in my 22re Escaper! That was the sketchiest experience I had in a toy home, but also my fault for trying. 

Fortunately my rig is running a 4 speed standard transmission which allows me to determine shift points. It’s also great for engine braking on the downhill side. Total weight (me included) is 4200 lbs. 20R engine slightly modified. Current 4.10’s might work fine but 4.56 or 4.88 would add a little extra insurance.

From what I’ve read online, you cannot get to the top now due to road construction.

It’s carbureted, so I might have to develop some type of supplemental oxygen supply directly into the carb intake. That altitude has 43% less oxygen than at sea level. Heck, might need some for myself. 🤫

Give this a go.  We went down this road in 2008 in a 84 Dolphin.

Going west from Williams lake, bc to Hagensborg and Bella Coola. It was fun, first geer all the way.

Darrel

canada trip 2008 027.JPG

Chilcotin Bella Coola highway #20  British Columbia.

Darrel

Your a brave man. Brakes must have been fading by the time you got down. I came down a steep highway in Wyoming when I still have a camper van. 10% grade but almost 20 miles of that. Had to stop 3 times coming down to let the brakes cool. My daughter was 15 and now is 35 and we still talk about it. 

Linda S

Speaking of brake fade, upgrading to DOT4 would help at least a little bit.  What other brake upgrades are available for our 1 ton chassis?  I see that normal stuff is easily available on RockAuto, so I would assume the same for local parts house.  But what I am wondering about is stuff like using a newer model, larger master cylinder, and larger front brakes.  Assuming that rear options would be minimal, if any.  With VW's, it is easy to play the parts upgrade game.  I don't know these Toyotas as well yet.  

I have been up Pikes Peak in a little Honda.  This was years ago before the final section was paved.  I can't even imagine doing that in one of our MH...

No we only went down although it is a gravel road all the way. 

The last picture is of the outhouse at a campground in Hagensborg, 10$ per night, free fire wood, and all the ripe cherriers we could eat.

Can't beat that.

Darrel

canada trip 2008 055.JPG

canada trip 2008 057.JPG

canada trip 2008 058.JPG

canada trip 2008 059.JPG

canada trip 2008 056.JPG

canada trip 2008 103.JPG

It's beautiful country but that road makes me feel a little nauseous. Funny when I met you guys you didn't look like Dare Devils. Was this on the way back from your Alaska trip or a separate trip?

Linda S

Linda nice that you remember us, we remember you also-in a good way.

We encountered this road on a trip to Yellowknife, northwest territory Canada in 2008.

Alaska was 2010 and 2017.

We have been in some predicaments, found our way out, and enjoy the memories.

Darrel